Chat freely about anything...

By rudy
#73898 Once per minute is very often, do you really need that. You will not get much benefit from putting the ESP8266 into deep sleep.

Synchronize the devices to work on the same time frame.

If you knew that your device was going to send data in 5 minutes, you would set the timer to wake the ESP before that time so that it could be ready for the transmission. It would complete the transmission and then go to sleep for another 4 1/2 minutes.

If the other devices are not battery powered then the ESP repeater could wake whenever it wanted and the devices sending through it would keep trying until they hit the available window.

Compromise. And decide what is the least undesirable solution for you.
By hortplus
rudy wrote:Once per minute is very often, do you really need that. You will not get much benefit from putting the ESP8266 into deep sleep.

Synchronize the devices to work on the same time frame.

If you knew that your device was going to send data in 5 minutes, you would set the timer to wake the ESP before that time so that it could be ready for the transmission. It would complete the transmission and then go to sleep for another 4 1/2 minutes.

If the other devices are not battery powered then the ESP repeater could wake whenever it wanted and the devices sending through it would keep trying until they hit the available window.

Compromise. And decide what is the least undesirable solution for you.

Its a weather station and the data is also being sent to an sd card. I suppose i could wait for an hour and send a batch of information through but how do i do this? I'm imagining having a RTC on the recorder and repeater
By hortplus
#73917 I'v finally got my units to connect to my pc via telnet and i'm interested in two commands in mesh mode. They are am_sleep_time and am_scan_time. Does anyone have experience with these
By martin_g
#73919 The esp_wifi_repeater has the "sleep <seconds>" command which sends the ESP into deep sleep (max. about 72 min). Of cause it is important to connect GPIO 16 with Reset before trying this, otherwise it will not wake up again. Also make sure that the power supply does not have too much quiescent current when the ESP sleeps, otherwise this will drain your battery faster than the ESP itself.

I would recommend the following: let the client (weather station) switch off the repeater when done (for a little bit less time than the desired next transmission time to have it ready, when needed).

If you have an MQTT broker, you can configure both the weather station and the repeater to talk to the MQTT broker and send the sleep command on the command topic, If there is none, you can also send the command directly to port 7777 of the repeater. The the client itself can got to sleep right after than.

"am_sleep_time" and "am_scan_time" have a little bit different meaning. It is the time a "automesh" node tries to find an uplink (am_scan_time) before it sleeps for "am_sleep_time" until it tries again.