Chat freely about anything...

By samatt
#1548 From my understanding of Wi-Fi direct the actual communication between the two devices after set-up is similar to a regular AP/STA link the difference comes during establishing a connection.

WiFi direct has two additional steps that make it different to a regular WiFi connection. Group Formation and Provisioning.

1. In WiFI Direct there is a parameter called intent that can have a value between 0-15. Intent is used by the two devices to determine who should be the SoftAP in the connection, If intent is set to 0 the device MUST be the AP if it is set to 15 it must be the STA. From my understanding this doesn't exist in regular WiFi hand shaking and allows a device to take on the role of STA or SoftAP dynamically depending on who its talking to.

2. Provisioning. I think provisioning is optional but is meant to be an additional security feature. Provisioning can either be Label, Display, KeyPad or PBC. This part isn't very clear to me but I think when you set up a WiFi direct link you can have a passcode that is shown on one device that has to be typed into the other similar to BT.

I haven't been able to find AT commands that set intent or provisioning on the SDK does anyone know where I can find the firmware source code to see if it is implemented?
As mentioned on this thread all the specs seem to say that WiFi Direct is implemented but I'm not able to find anything to prove it in the code.
By techster
#17172 I also would like to connect my ESP8266 to a laptop without going through the router, i.e. via an ad hoc network or wifi direct or whatever, but the ESP8266 does not seem to be able to connect to a regaular Windows 7 ad hoc netork.

Did you aver solve this Wifi direct problem?
By G3P0
#23913 I'm also interested in this process and would like to be able to connect an android application to the ESP8266 and send data to it.

G