Chat freely about anything...

By spacejunkie
jonsmirl wrote:TI has some of the best support available. It will be better than anything you'll get from a volunteer community. TI is paying skilled people to support their products and they have been doing it for a very long time.

I should clarify what I mean by support. It is not just troubleshooting. It is also all those open source libraries and reusable code that starts becoming available when the community is large and active. I remember what a huge task it was to implement a file system on MMC card using an AVR, then came the Arduino libraries and made it a child's play.
Last edited by spacejunkie on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
By martinayotte
Squonk wrote:
obvy wrote:I love TI, period. But people say that CC3000 was awful, buggy, and power-hungry. Now they came up with CC3100/CC3200. I read docs on CC3200 and it supports 2 SSL sockets. OMG, they're real engineering monsters! I even know what features CC3400 will offer - 4 SSL sockets! And their current BluetoothLE chip, CC2541, is built on 8051 core from 1980ies. So, I think they should get from under the rock and license something from Chinese folks, who do the real innovation now.

CC3000 is also a total security disaster :roll:

Read this thread about the CC3000 SmartConfig fiasco, it will make your day:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_conn ... 53463.aspx

CC3000 is not only a security fiasco, but also a robustness fiasco ! They is no way to get a TCP server up and running more than 10 hours, and it usually hangs within first hour. We usually end up by adding a watchdog which reset the C3300 to workaround this TI bug which is present for more than a year without any real support. The bug is not only been seen by Adafruit CC3000 users, but the SparkCore users also faced it and even others as shown in the following TI thread. TI finally apologized, after been silent for months, but they never been able to fix that bug ! They prefer that their customers switching their designs to CC3200 ...

http://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_conn ... 45205.aspx
By jonsmirl
#521 Reading that thread - TI has acknowledged the bugs and has promised a fix this month (Sept). That is way more that you will get from a lot of Asian vendors. They usually drop out one or two releases of code (with no or partial source) and then abandon their chip for their next rev. It does appear that TI has tarnished they normally good support reputation. Maybe some key people who wrote that firmware have quit and they are having troubling internally picking up the pieces.