Chat freely about anything...

By obvy
TI has some of the best support available. It will be better than anything you'll get from a volunteer community. TI is paying skilled people to support their products and they have been doing it for a very long time.

I love TI, period. But people say that CC3000 was awful, buggy, and power-hungry. Now they came up with CC3100/CC3200. I read docs on CC3200 and it supports 2 SSL sockets. OMG, they're real engineering monsters! I even know what features CC3400 will offer - 4 SSL sockets! And their current BluetoothLE chip, CC2541, is built on 8051 core from 1980ies. So, I think they should get from under the rock and license something from Chinese folks, who do the real innovation now.
By Squonk
obvy wrote:I love TI, period. But people say that CC3000 was awful, buggy, and power-hungry. Now they came up with CC3100/CC3200. I read docs on CC3200 and it supports 2 SSL sockets. OMG, they're real engineering monsters! I even know what features CC3400 will offer - 4 SSL sockets! And their current BluetoothLE chip, CC2541, is built on 8051 core from 1980ies. So, I think they should get from under the rock and license something from Chinese folks, who do the real innovation now.

CC3000 is also a total security disaster :roll:

Read this thread about the CC3000 SmartConfig fiasco, it will make your day:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_conn ... 53463.aspx
By spacejunkie
jonsmirl wrote:TI has some of the best support available. It will be better than anything you'll get from a volunteer community. TI is paying skilled people to support their products and they have been doing it for a very long time.

I should clarify what I mean by support. It is not just troubleshooting. It is also all those open source libraries and reusable code that starts becoming available when the community is large and active. I remember what a huge task it was to implement a file system on MMC card using an AVR, then came the Arduino libraries and made it a child's play.
Last edited by spacejunkie on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.