Chat freely about anything...

By frob
raz123 wrote:Have you considered designing a plug-n-play transparent solution that would include transmitter and receiver audio modules, so as to easily make traditional speakers wireless?

As a matter of fact i have :)
It really boils down to how much sustained throughput the ESP8266 can reliably handle.
The current code examples deal only with compressed MP3 format , which uses little bandwidth but has high latency and is not feasible to encode it real-time economically and with low latency.
To do a wireless speaker link, taking in analog or digital (s/pdif) uncompressed audio, at say 48,000 x 16-bit samples/second, that gives you a net payload throughput of 768 kbit/s. per mono channel - double that for stereo.
Now add to that encoding / packet overhead (you need small packets to maintain low latency, & better handle errors) and you're really talking ~ 1Mbit/s./ch.
Now add some extra bandwidth to leave time to retransmit the occasional dropped packet or 2, and other processing delays, time to receive handshaking/ack messages from the slave device, and you're really talking 1.5Mbit/s./ch, or 3Mbit+ for stereo.
Unfortunately, from what i've read on this forum (netio testing), ESP8266 would not likely be able to handle that.
Now its possible the actual bottleneck is in the ESP8266 firmware, and that some clever hacking in the low level code might release the cork so to speak, but there's no guarantee that will work, i'm not really in a position to do that.
Of course, if Espressif or anyone else figures out and shares how to get at least 3Mbit/s reliably through the ESP8266 , then i'll jump right on that! 8-)

In the mean time, i'm focusing on solutions that work well for streaming compressed audio , for example directly from a smartphone / tablet /computer, using bluetooth or WiFi.

Cheers
Frantz
By frob
#23349 Yay!
all parts and (bare) PCB's have finally arrived !
PCB's look good, no visible screw-ups,
got more than i expected too, i only ordered 4, but i got 10 :)
that means i might have a couple to spare assuming they work as expected :)
Unfortunately I'm just heading off to a conference now, so i wont have a chance to
assemble & test one of these until the weekend - but when i do I'll be sure to post a detailed update,
and hopefully a video of it doing it's thing!

Cheers
By nemik
#23352 Wow, that is awesome! If I were you, I would try to get this in front of speaker manufacturers and OEMs of sound equipment. Particularly ones who aren't hi-fi places that care about audiophiles or sounds quality that much, since as you mentioned the bandwidth for high quality audio is limited.

But I think there's a lot of value in making this in high volumes but low-cost products especially for spoken-word type audio rather than music. For example, a company selling audio books could give away a device like yours with a subscription. The end-user could connect it to their home wifi and control it with either a simple app or buttons. Particularly if you can put in a really cheap DAC and speaker just good enough for spoken-word type audio. Just a thought.
Kid's toys is another one, or something that plays simple audio effects. They're all currently burned into flash of those devices but being able to upgrade those sounds remotely could be really useful to some OEMs. I just don't think they frequent this forum :P

Anyway, congrats on getting it this far and making what looks to be a pretty awesome PCB. Especially because you're using a raw ESP8266 chip rather than a module. A lot of impressive engineering went into this, I wish you all the best of luck with it.
By frob
#23401 Hi Nemik,
Thanks! I appreciate all the kind positive feedback!
Actually I've been thinking exactly along the same lines,
and already have had discussions with some really big brands in the area of toys, and there is strong interest there.
I like your idea about audio books too, and i can think of about a dozen other use cases off the top of my head.
The next few days i'm at International Startup Festival in Montreal ( http://startupfest.com anyone else here going, please look for me and you can see the bare board in person) and have already started pitching the concept to a number of major investors present (Google, and some private equity guys & angel investors ) - they seem to agree its a great concept- with a little luck, i might have a funding offer or 2 by Friday :D
Even if i don't get a favorable offer this week, Plan 'B' is moving ahead nicely - its too early to announce what that is yet, but i can say that it will be *really* awesome, and will likely launch on Kickstarter this fall - in time for Xmass deliveries ;)

Cheers
Frantz