Chat freely about anything...

By jonsmirl
#1760 It is 256MB = 2Gb, 2Gb is just a common DRAM chip, nothing special. Since there are two dies it is easy to add large DRAM. 1Gb is smallest die made.
There may be multiple versions with different DRAM sizes.

These are full Linux machines. They support 1080P H.264, motion detection, USB wifi, Ethernet, etc.....

If you can find out, I'd like to know the real prices for Hi3518C, Hi3518E and Hi3516 from Hisilicon so I can keep these board vendors honest.
By gicho
#1766 Checking boot logs from various Hi3518E based boards I saw both 128MiB and 256MiB reported by U-boot. If you say 512MiB that there seem to exists several versions. I was suprised because some other vendors of IP camera SoCs (like Nuvoton) also make MCP versions but limited to 16 or 32megabytes.

Being on this (off-)topic, do you know any other variants of HiSilicon chips that are PoP? This one (3518) has only one sensor input, I was wondering if they have PoP for something with 2 sensor inputs, probably in DVR product line? Maybe it makes no sense for them, this 3518E seems to be designed for tiny IP cameras so PoP pays back. But for more complex devices (e.g. DVR) having PoP will bring the price up without market advantages.
By jonsmirl
#1769 I only said 256MB, you have miss read previous post. Don't worry about off-topic, this is in its own thread now.

I don't know of any other POP devices. The Hi3516 is very similar but has more IO.

I'd like to get a hold of a full SDK for these devices. That Linux one is missing all of the user space apps. Have you tried changing the software in any of these yet? I'm using tftp and nfsroot to run without writing the flash. But I am missing the rest of user space. I have a clip on 8-SOIC programmer coming in mail. That will let me suck out the contents of the serial flash. Then I will be able to crack the root password on these ESCAM units and see their user space.
By gicho
#1814 I haven't tried anything yet, just read some russian forums about their research. If I succeed to move on with commercial project I can give back more feedback.