Chat freely about anything...

By kolban
#24343 I think you are saying that a device that connects to the ESP can then open a browser and point to a Web Server running on the ESP. Am I sensing that you are not using the ESP as a "gateway" and that arbitrary IP traffic doesn't flow "through" the ESP but rather reaches an endpoint of the ESP which then forms a new connection to the internet connected gateway?
By lajolo
#44118 Hello,
I am trying to setup an esp8266 module with STA+AP mode in order to connect another esp8266 module that is too far from the main router.

The remote esp8266 connects to the AP created by the intermediate esp8266 and its GETs are correctly redirected to the main router.

Now, I would also like to send HTTP GETs to the remote module from the intermediate one.
The remote module gets a local IP address from the AP, but I am confused when I try to write code to connect to it

Do you know an example which does something like that?

Thanks,
Marcello
By AndyReischle
#44239 Although somewhat iffy in more than one respect, people have reported good results with this setup I published a few months ago:
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH1rjk3Q_MU
Blog & Code: http://www.areresearch.net/2015/10/usin ... ender.html

Might be worth a try.

best regards,
Andy
By lajolo
#44242 Thanks, I have just watched your video and I have found it interesting.

I have setup a first implementation which allows bidirectional communication between the main network and the remote esp8266 connected via an intermediate esp8266.
The intermediated node sends GETs to 192.168.4.2 when it wants to address the remote esp8266 and at the moment I do not have a static route in the main router because it is ok with me to go through the intermediate esp8266 every time.

What I would now like to setup is DNS on the intermediate router in order to assign fixed addresses in the new subnetwork when I have more than one esp8266 modules connected to it.

In Kolban's book I have found plenty of information on how to manage DNS with LUA, but it seems that there is nothing to support it within Arduino IDE (I program the esp82266 with the Arduino IDE).
Do you know if Arduino IDE supports DNS in AP mode?

Thanks!