Chat freely about anything...

By dustystew
#28665 I'm having a problem with ESP-01 connecting to an AP that my computer will connect to.

Two weeks ago I had the same software working reliably, but it was with a different router. The previous router was a newer model, no more than a year old. The router I am using now is older. Sorry no details available, but it is worth mentioning that there are instances where the ESP won't connect even though a computer can.

Another thing that is different is that the old SSID was 9 characters whereas the new one is 3 characters. I mention this because I saw in another post that having a short SSID might be a problem.

I've also tried connecting ESP-01 to my iPhone's personal hotspot. That doesn't work either. The name has mixed case and an apostrophe in it ie "Admin's iPhone".

I've got to work on my code a bit, my CWLAP isn't properly coded, so I don't yet know what APs the ESP can see.

I second the motion regarding the CC3000. The documentation was garbage, some of the essential commands weren't even documented. You had to reverse engineer the commands by reading their driver code. And their driver code was unnecessarily verbose. It appears that TI abandoned it. They gave it up the behind to all of the people who invested their money and efforts into that part. I'd like to try the CC3100 which is the replacement chip, but can't find a small module (like the Adafruit Huzzah) with the CC3100 on it. Could it be that all those folks who made boards for the CC3000 also said "never again"?

Just because a company is big doesn't mean their staff is competent.
By martinayotte
dustystew wrote:Another thing that is different is that the old SSID was 9 characters whereas the new one is 3 characters. I mention this because I saw in another post that having a short SSID might be a problem.

According to what @lethe said, this SSID with "8-63 characters" is part of the standard, although I didn't verified with any RFC yet.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4150&p=25176&hilit=8+characters#p25176
It could be interesting that you mention which model/brand of this router.

dustystew wrote:Just because a company is big doesn't mean their staff is competent.

Yes, TI is simply missing the IoT boat, and their management aren't even aware yet ... :o :lol:
By lethe
martinayotte wrote:According to what @lethe said, this SSID with "8-63 characters" is part of the standard, although I didn't verified with any RFC yet.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4150&p=25176&hilit=8+characters#p25176

That post was referring to WPA passphrases (for verification, see IEEE Std. 802.11i-2004 Appendix H4.1).
There is no minimum length on the SSID. It may be between 0 and 32 bytes, not restricted to printable characters (IEEE Std. 802.11-2012 Section 8.4.2.2).

@dustystew: you may want to contact espressif about these issues. From what I read on their forum, they seem to be quite interested in fixing compability issues...