Chat freely about anything...

By dayzman
#28793 Does anyone know how to reset the ESP8266 to stock flash? Are there pins that I could pull up/down?

I'm using the NodeMCU dev board like below, but I think it's the same for all ESP8266 anyway.

Thanks
By SteveSpencer
#28810 If you are using Windows, then the nodemcu firmware loader will do this for you, with no problems.

More generally, on the nodemcu boards, there is generally a FLASH button, and if you hold it while resetting, the board goes into bootloader/flash mode.

On newer boards, there is also a reset button, but depending on the USB/Serial chip, you may not need to press either of them, since it's done by toggling a couple of serial lines.

This is the equivalent of grounding GPIO0 (usually via a resistor) during reset.

Of course, when you say "stock firmware", you may mean "AT" firmware, rather than nodemcu firmware, but the principal is the same, it's just the BIN file(s). If you search on the forum for "flash firmware" you can probably find more detailed help.
By dayzman
SteveSpencer wrote:If you are using Windows, then the nodemcu firmware loader will do this for you, with no problems.

More generally, on the nodemcu boards, there is generally a FLASH button, and if you hold it while resetting, the board goes into bootloader/flash mode.

On newer boards, there is also a reset button, but depending on the USB/Serial chip, you may not need to press either of them, since it's done by toggling a couple of serial lines.

This is the equivalent of grounding GPIO0 (usually via a resistor) during reset.

Of course, when you say "stock firmware", you may mean "AT" firmware, rather than nodemcu firmware, but the principal is the same, it's just the BIN file(s). If you search on the forum for "flash firmware" you can probably find more detailed help.

Thanks!