Chat freely about anything...

By dkinzer
#28871 In another post, someone described the Basic interpreter that they are working on for the ESP8266. For a few months now, I've been working on modifying our ZBasic compiler and the accompanying ZBasic System Library and ZBasic IDE for the ESP8266. Today, we have posted an installer, free to download, for the updated ZBasic system.

ZBasic is similar to Visual Basic in that it has modern control structures (If..Then..Else, Do..While, Select Case, etc.) and it has a modern parameterized subroutine/function paradigm. ZBasic also supports modern data types including user-defined types like structures, unions and enumerations. ZBasic also supports an optional object model for those that prefer object-oriented code.

The original ZBasic compiler, released in 2005, compiled application code to p-code for a Virtual Machine running on Atmel AVR controllers. In 2008, the ZBasic compiler was updated to be able to compile ZBasic applications to native code for the Atmel AVR. The latest release can compile a ZBasic application to native code for the ESP8266.

Although the ZBasic compiler and IDE are Windows applications, some of our customers run them under the Wine emulator on Linux.
By dkinzer
#28875 I neglected to mention in my original post that the installer includes several sample applications including a web server, HTTP client, UDP server, UDP client (NTP), and a simple SPIFFS usage demo. There are actually two different web server apps. One serves up static content from a sample SPIFFS image and the other serves simple dynamically generated content. The dynamic example processes query strings and can set/clear a pin or read a pin specified in the query string.

Although the example code is included in the installer, it can be downloaded separately using the URL below.

http://www.zbasic.net/download/ZBasicES ... leCode.zip
By AJB2K3
#28877 Mmiscool is the man creating espbasic, see the projects section
By pvvx
#28885 How to find out the available disk space to save the maximum file? :lol:
ZBasic built-in programmer not check types of Flash on modules ESP8266?
ZBasic.gif

NodeMCU v2 module, Flash: 4 Mbytes.