Chat freely about anything...

By entozoon
#29150 Hello all,
I want to make a small very low (battery) power device that powers an ESP-201 on at the touch of a button, which does it's stuff, then automatically powers off after say 5-10 seconds.
That is to say completely powers off with no separate monitoring kinda circuit.

I've tried a couple things, such as with a relay but that ended up needing a separate power supply constantly running and also took up a lot of room physically.
Another attempt was with a capacitor and transistor which seemed to work alright, but I couldn't get a strong/constant enough power from it to run the esp8266 consistently (my electronics abilities let me down with this sort of thing).

Any ingenious ideas? Seems like a dead simple thing that everyone would want to do. I've even considered some kind of mechanically delayed latching switch, but they don't exist :)

Thanks in advance!
By entozoon
#29175 That post from @Barnabybear is pretty darn genius.
Thank you @eduperez for the link.
Do you know if the esp uses much power when it's in sleep mode? enough to keep hooked up to say a 150mah battery for days/weeks without worrying?
By eduperez
#29178 AFAK, Barnabybear's circuit does not put the ESP into sleep mode, but completely powers it down; so it should be using close to zero power. However, even thou 150mAh might be not enough for your purposes, even if you just switch it on occasionally. But do not take my word on this, as I have not tried it myself yet.