Chat freely about anything...

By Rural
#29594 Ya. It may just be an erroneous test or it perhaps a problem in creating the image. I've noticed a couple of conversations that hint at it being a build environment issue.

I made a bunch of progress in the last 24 hours and can now send sketches to my ESP-12 modules via the Arduino IDE. The MEM CHECK FAIL message disappeared after uploading. It may be that there is a problem with the memory the sketches get stored in, but my little sketches are so small that they don't run across it, or it may have just been a bad image flashed to the module by the manufacturer.

On the one ESP-01 module I tried, I got the same message in its fresh-from-the-manufacturer state. So I'm thinking it was the manufacturer's image.

One of the ESP-12 modules is defective or was destroyed by myself. My guess is the latter.

kenn wrote:
I see that MEM CHECK FAIL message alot of the time... yet my uploaded program usually works... Maybe it means that the test itself is NFG...
By Rural
#29987 Well, I managed to destroy another ESP-12 module, or at least damage it to the point where programs no longer upload. I'm pretty sure that I send 5V to one of the GPIO pins by mistake. To prevent this from happening again, I'm switching to USB-UART adapters that are 3.3V selectable. I want the option of taking 5V completely out of the equation while prototyping, at least until a project is ready for it.

On the positive side, with my single remaining ESP-12 module, I was able to build the ESP8266 equivalent of hello world. Modified a cheap extension cable to incorporate a solid-state relay in-line. Set the ESP8266 up to control the SSR (which required a MOSFET and 5V power) via a web-interface. Works just fine. I'm working to, add a momentary switch to allow physical control, move the circuit onto perfboard, and get it all into an enclosure. Having 120V AC exposed gives me the willies. I'm also looking to learn enough Javascript to make a web-page that displays the current state of the device. This is all surprisingly fun.
By kenn
Rural wrote:On the positive side, with my single remaining ESP-12 module, I was able to build the ESP8266 equivalent of hello world. Modified a cheap extension cable to incorporate a solid-state relay in-line. Set the ESP8266 up to control the SSR (which required a MOSFET and 5V power) via a web-interface. Works just fine. I'm working to, add a momentary switch to allow physical control, move the circuit onto perfboard, and get it all into an enclosure. Having 120V AC exposed gives me the willies.

glad to hear of success. I've worked with AC voltages all my life, wired my house, etc but I still give AC some serious respect and care. No shame in being cautious or having someone check out your work if you have any concerns.

Rural wrote: This is all surprisingly fun.

Welcome to my world ;)