Chat freely about anything...

By eldonb46
#29308 I have Esp11's, Esp12's, and Esp13's to play with.

I just noticed that when I run my ERB-EspWebServer on different types of Esp's, that the Esp13 creates HTML Web Pages 2 to 3 times faster than the Esp11 (Info Page, typical 0.078 vs 0.028 seconds) . This observation was done when both were running the same "REV" code (except: the Esp11 code was compiled for its 512KB Flash, and the Esp13 was compiled for its 4MB Flash).

I have a page lap timer, page character counters, and a little math for a Display on each page created, and therefore this observation was easy.

In my App, most of the Web Pages are sourced from PROGMEM, and therefore FLASH speed could be a factor, but I was not expecting any real difference.

Has anyone seen any general performance difference between Esp11's and Esp13's?

I plan to do the same tests on a Esp12.

Eldon - WA0UWH
By tve
#29359 I see the same thing between esp-03 and esp-12. It's the much better RF in the -12 that enables the faster speed: fewer lost packets and fewer retransmissions. I consistently see 10dB better RSSI on the -12 vs the -03.
By eldonb46
#31143 Today I got to do some Contrived Stress and Speed Tests on my latest ERB-EspWebServer Code, using the Esp8266 Esp-13 module.

- For the Tests , the Esp-13 was on a local WIFI network, running at 160MHz, with 4MB of 80 MHz Flash.
    - My Workstation is hard wired connected to the same network via a switch.
    - The Http Transfer Protocol used is "CHUNKED".
    - The Automatically Refreshed (4 Second) Home Page was a little over 30KB.
    - My Workstation had 20 Tabs open, each connected to the Esp's Home Page.
    - The included Graphic was showing a steady 15.8KB FreeHeap.
    - The Test Home Page has; Text, Graphs, Charts, and SVG Images, all Dynamically Created for each Http request.
    - Also, during the Test, mDNS was scheduled and updated each 5 minutes, ntp was updated each 30 minutes.
    - Diagnostic Trace and Status was being Created and Displayed on the Workstation Arduino IDE Monitor via USB.
    - My Normal Workstation work (which was unavoidable) was also being done during the Tests.

If I have my maths , data and methods correct, the results is:
( 20Esp Tabs x 30KB ) / 4Sec = 150KB Per Second Created and Transferred

The Esp-13 ran for about 1 hour, before I got GREEDY, an attempted to open more Browser Tabs. At about 35 Tabs things started to FAIL, the update page rate was decreasing, and eventually the Esp-13 crashed and rebooted itself.

That was fun, . . . the Esp-13 was just . . . Smok'ng !! :-)
I am impressed and very happy with the results.

I will soon update my GitHub Repository with the revised and much faster code.

Let me know if you are interested in participating in a Live Internet Stress Test.

The initial Internet Tests (with my friend Jeff) suggests the Home Page will update at about 6 seconds per page over the Internet, with the Auto Update rate set to 3 Seconds. And, which, of course, is going to be very dependant on my end of a very slow network. So far, we have not done any multi-Tab Test.

Soon, for some more Tests, I plan to connect the Esp-13 to a Very Fast Internet Connection at my Son's house, stay tuned for that.

Eldon - WA0UWH - See progress at: http://WA0UWH.blogspot.com

-