Chat freely about anything...

By Samighi11
inagy wrote:Well, i thought i give it a go.
I've used the 0.9.9.2 image mentioned above. After flashing the image the device reverts to 9600 baud and prints the following during boot:

Code: Select all[System Ready, Vendor:www.ai-thinker.com]

But doesn't seem to react to the console typing. Characters are does echoed back to me but this might just my terminal doing local echo. Seems like after a while it reboots on it's own (watchdog kicks in?). I'm using PuTTY on Windows to connect via UART. I've tried changing CRLF settings as others recommended. Doesn't seem to change anything.

I think flashing was not complete, esptool wrote this for me:

Code: Select allc:\esp8266>esptool.py --port COM3 write_flash 0x000000 0922.bin
python dll
kernel32
kernel32
Connecting...
Erasing flash...
Writing at 0x0007ec00... (99 %)
Leaving...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\esp8266\esptool.py", line 351, in <module>
    esp.flash_finish(False)
  File "C:\esp8266\esptool.py", line 188, in flash_finish
    raise Exception('Failed to leave Flash mode')
Exception: Failed to leave Flash mode

That 99% worries me :) Seems like esptool has some kind of issue with this: https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool/issues/1

I'm trying to flash the Cloud ROM from Electrodragon.

i reported the same issue above, but at least one other has been able to get it to work. with the Windows tool I get 99% and "failed to leave" message, but the flash is fine. if you boot it up and get 9600 baud stuff, you are good. Now we need to sort out this CRLF issue. I will be working on it shortly and will report back. (I guessed I missed the PY script. I want to use it on my MAc so I am not PC dependent. Link please?)

EDIT:

I downloaded GUI terminal client and with CR+LF my chip works great.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 5.19.38 PM.png
Mac CoolTerm and Settings - 0018000902

Firmware still reads "0018000902"

also, was able to get the baud up to 230400 (my emulator does not go higher)

AT+CIOBAUD?

+CIOBAUD:230400

OK
Last edited by Samighi11 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By inagy
#1135 Strange. If i flash other firmware to the module it's working correctly. With 0.9.9.2 it reboots endlessly if i try to connect to my AP, like half the time. :shock:

For the CRLF issue: PuTTY is dumb. You cannot configure it to send CRLF when pressing <ENTER>, it always sends CR only. Moved on to IVT terminal where i can configure this by terminal settings.
For testing purposes I've connected the module to my Arduino using SoftwareSerial. Things works until the module not starts sending massive amount of data to the arduino. Then it drops like half of the incoming data :( So it seems i have to use the hardware UART and leave software serial for debug printing.
By scargill
#1404 I got the update - which still says 902 and apart from the initial confusion (9600 new default - which I quickly then set to 115200) it all works a treat. It seems someone has modified the code (ESP8266_XRST.bin) to handle the dreaded "busy" issue in this forum but I don't know which version they've modified it from.

Would love an idiot's guide to producing a .BIN file on a PC
By Indyaner
#1421 @inagy
For the CRLF issue: PuTTY is dumb. You cannot configure it to send CRLF when pressing <ENTER>, it always sends CR only. Moved on to IVT terminal where i can configure this by terminal settings.

Can you please explain how to do work correctly with IVT Terminal?
I used the same config as OP (I used putty on windows with the 902 Firmware and had the same problem that when I type in "AT" and press ENTER, the cursor jups to position 0 ("A" of "AT") and does nothing anymore). I now installed IVT Terminal nd tried to find CRLF in the settings. The only setting I could find that might relate to your suggestion was under
Ssetup > Setup System > VT220 Settings > "LF implies CR" (checkbox)

Is this the checkbox I have to tick to solve this problem or is there anything else? Because out of the box IVT Terminal has the same behaviour (Cursor jumps to position 0 and does not send anything).

Please give us a short explanation on how to correctly use IVT Terminal with 902.

Thank you!

Indyaner