Chat freely about anything...

By Oszkár Leopold
#29659 Hello guys!

I bought my esp8266-03 and an FT232RL USB To Serial Adapter almost a year ago from e-bay, and a few days ago I decided to start tinkering with them.

However I couldn't even get the most simple stuff out of the esp8266-03.
I have tried many different variations with the GPIOs being LOW/HIGH, (Since I read many different solutions) nothing seems to be working. I have a seperate power supply for the esp, that has more than enough juice to power it. I tried flashing with different software (eg. esp_flasher) and while I have a connection with my COM port, the flashing of the device doesn't even start at all.

Here is the interesting bit: When I power up the esp in normal operation mode and I use the Arduino IDE's serial monitor and send any commands, I get the message back: "NON-GENUINE DEVICE FOUND".

So far I have found that my FT232RL was bricked by windows 7, so I followed a tutorial that let me unbrick it with Mprog3.5, the device seems to be working perfectly, yet I still get the same message.

It only happens when:
- The esp8266-03 is wired up with the FT232
- TXD and RXD are wired up correctly
- esp8266-03 is started in normal operation mode

I also see the RXD led flashing on the FT232, so I kind of figure that my esp is not completely broken, it communicates something at least...

Any kind of help/feedback would be incredibly appreciated!
By kolban
#29660 Maybe post a diagram/schematic of how you have wired up your ESP and USB->UART and power. Also show what pins are grounded, floating or pulled-up. If you can't build a schematic, take some detailed photos and post those. I'd also suggest trying a serial terminal software tool such as "putty" instead of the Arduino IDE. Since there is no Arduino in the story, that will likely confuse things at this early stage.
By Oszkár Leopold
kolban wrote:Maybe post a diagram/schematic of how you have wired up your ESP and USB->UART and power. Also show what pins are grounded, floating or pulled-up. If you can't build a schematic, take some detailed photos and post those. I'd also suggest trying a serial terminal software tool such as "putty" instead of the Arduino IDE. Since there is no Arduino in the story, that will likely confuse things at this early stage.

I gave it a go with PUTTY, and it gives me the same result, every time I press a button a piece of the text "NON-GENUINE DEVICE FOUND" starts printing out, and every time I see both TXD and RXD leds light up on my USB-SERIAL device.

My wiring is the following for when I try to flash the module except I use a separate 3.3 V power supply for the esp8266, and not a regulator. The power supply, the esp module, and the USB-SERIAL device all share a common GND.

I also tried the same setup with GPIO2 floating.
By martinayotte
#29664 From what I understood from what other people said about "NON-GENUINE DEVICE FOUND", it is the USB-TTL Serial which is a chinese clone of the original FTDI, and the Windows driver refuse to let you use it.
Either you change your USB-TTL Serial, or you using the clone one but on Linux platform.