Chat freely about anything...

By Gigakaiser
wififofum wrote:Have you checked out esp-14? Not enough extra pins? Or you prefer msp430 to stm8? Anyway, good luck and hope to see your layout and schematic.

The ESP-14 looks great, but I like the MSP430 because I feel that more are familiar with the TI MCUs by virtue of the popular TI launchpad. With the DIP package, users such as yourself will be able to take the MCU out and flash it with a launchpad if desired. Also, I just happen to be more familiar with TI's line.

Thank you!

eduperez wrote:Things do not work that way.

I did not intend to mislead anyone with the website - more info will be up soon and emailed to those interested.

eriksl wrote:I think you'd better build something like that with an analog (de)multiplexer (gives you up to 8 analog inputs) and an I2C port extender, (or more) to get up to A LOT of gpio's. The port extender won't give you PWM though.

I have been considering some of these ideas - they may make appearances with future models. Thanks for the input!
By eduperez
Gigakaiser wrote:
eduperez wrote:Things do not work that way.

I did not intend to mislead anyone with the website - more info will be up soon and emailed to those interested.

And I was not implying that you intended to mislead anyone ;)

I just wanted to point out that people is going to feel very disappointed / deceived if all they see is an empty page, and nobody is going to share a page with no content at all. I would upload all the info available as soon as possible, let people talk about the project themselves, and forget about the email.

Just my two cents!
By Gigakaiser
#31005 The website is up! I've added the first two posts which outline the development of the current pcb layout and schematic!

http://www.the-mesp.com/
It's still missing some resistors, but this is where I'm currently at with the design. Make sure to look at the post on the blog for my thought process on the layout!
As stated in the post, I have a few questions.

Would you prefer to see two columns of pins (instead of the single column the board currently has)?
How important is breadboard-friendliness? Would the board be easier to use with the 3-column sets of pins?
What are your thoughts/concerns about the current design?
By lethe
#31078 I didn't read your website, but that PCB layout does not look like it would work. At first glance, there are several issues:
1) you are routing traces straight through the pads for the pin headers.
2) some traces look like they do not have enough clearance to other traces/vias/pads (run a DRC check in eagle).
3) there are no capacitors on that board?! I assume that SMD package near the bottom is a LDO, you should add caps for both the input and output (see datasheet for type & min. values). You should add decoupling caps (ceramic, usually around 100nF, as close to the power pins as possible) for the ESP and the DIP package (some MCU or port expander I assume?).
4) your pin labels appear to be in the top copper layer. If your board will have a soldermask, they'll be readable under the mask (and probably unreadable). Either convert them to silkscreen or add a stopp mask around them.