Chat freely about anything...

By Emmett_Brown
#30548 Hello, I've bought my second ESP8266 because I had a problem with the first and I still have the same problem with the second.
I have tested on three differents computer and it is the same problem:

When I plug my FTD232 USB/serial converter with a switch to have 3.3V, it is ok.

BUT, as soon I plug the CH_PD pin of the ESP8266 on VCC(3.3V) or on a 10k pull-up or a 4.7k, there is like there is a short-circuit on the USB port; all the leds are ligthing less and the ESP8266 module does not work/start.

I have seeking this issue on internet but it seems that I am the only one in the world trying using an ESP8266 who have this problem.

I am very desperate and would have some helps to resolve it.
By eduperez
#30589 It has been mentioned before that 3.3v lines from FTDIs should not be used to power ESPs, because these modules are too demanding, and the DV converter in the FTDI cannot provide enough power. Use an external power supply, or perhaps a DC-DC converter from the 5v on the FTDI.
By Emmett_Brown
#30767 Yes, it woeks now with added power supply wherease all the example on internet do't use it; just connected to the arduino.
So if I have to add an extern power supply, it is not really portable and if I want use it as a transmitter of wheather data from outside it will be very contraignant to have a car battery to makes it work, it is not very usefull like shield...