Chat freely about anything...

By Spafin
#31267 Hi!

Some days ago I posted this in another topic:

I have been using ESP8266 for about two months without big problems (versions esp-01 and esp-201), and recently ordered some more esp-01 and esp-05 for new projects. I started with the esp-05 version, set the baud rate to 9600 without problems, but I noticed that it restarted automatically many times and every time it got resetted the baudrate went back to 115200. The reason for the random resetting could be, according to what I have read, not using a capacitor and using the Arduino 5V for the ESP8266 RX pin. Anyways, my first question is:

1.- Is it normal that the module resets to 'factory settings' (at least in terms of baud rate) after resetting or restarting? That's important because I only keep the module ON once every 10 minutes, and only during the time it needs to send sensor information to my server. I did that about two/three times, and the next one the baud rate was already 115200.

At some moment it became impossible to communicate with the module. After it happened to tree modules (one esp-05 and two esp-01) I tried to update the firmware using a 3.3V FTDI Programmer and the Nodemcu Flasher and ESP Flasher. I have tried different firmware versions and different configurations, according to different web pages, but I haven't succeed even once. All the programs open the connection, but at some point they stop downloading the firmware. Of course one possibility is that the problem is the hardware, but I have noticed that when trying to reflash different modules with the same firmware the program stops always at the same point, as if the file were not the right one. Another thing that makes me think the hardware is ok is that I can download sketches directly from the Arduino IDE. So the second question is:

2.- Is it possible that the problem is the hardware if the flasher starts downloading the firmware and always stops at the same point (even with different modules)? Is there any common procedural mistake that I could be doing?

I have tried the following firmware versions, among others:
- v0.9.5.2 AT Firmware.bin
- ESP8266_AT_V00150900_00.zip

When using as explained in this page (https://developer.mbed.org/users/sschoc ... 6-Firmware) I can download all excepting the user1.bin

I have been following the boot process listening the serial port at 76800 bauds, and it boots saying this:
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

Can anyone explain what is happening? I don't dare to use more modules before I'm able to reflash at least one of the damaged one. Thank you very much for your comments, I have been reading as many webpages as I could find about reflashing, but nothing helped.

After two weeks some things have changed: I have been able to upload two different firmwares:https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-flasher/tree/master/Resources/Binaries (only if I use the files 0x00000.bin and 0x10000.bin), and one binary file with AT commands (ESP8266_9.0_AT_BIN.bin). The good news are that it means that the modules are working well, but the problem is that the binary file with AT comands (I use the modules with Arduino) is a too old version and I don't find the command that changes baud rate to 9600. Of course, if needed, I can program in LUA and send the commands from Arduino, but I would love to get back a decent version of the AT commands and use the module as I'm used to. Has anyone a .bin file that works for sure, so I can try it?

Things I have tried (read most of them in this forum):
- Connect FTDI RX to ESP8266 GIO2 and leave ESP8266 TX floating
- Different memory addresses for the different bin files.

Programs I have used:
- ESP FLASH DOWNLOAD TOOL
- NODEMCU FIRMWARE PROGRAMMER
- ESP8266 FLASHER

I haven't tried yet esptool.py. I haven't tried to compile any file.

Any ideas? Any useful link with a wonderful bin file? Thanks!!
By Greali
#31357 Hey!

I have your exact problem u.u I have an ESP8266 that only can be flashed with that old bin. And can't change the baudrate....
Have you a solution?

Thanks
By Spafin
#31859 Yes, finally I can flash it with the bin file I want. They all work now. The solution is, as many people wisely mentioned here, replacing the FTDI USB adapter by a Pl2303 ( PL-2303HXD (HX Rev D) or PL2303TA, other ones can cause problems on Windows 8).