Chat freely about anything...

By Tucson Tom
#38174 I am getting ready to launch into a big project and want to find out what interest there may be, and more importantly what has already been done along these lines. I don't want to regenerate the wheel if it already has been done.

In particular, I want to make an intense study of the bootrom code. I played with objdump to disassemble it, then did some searching and found that a user "Kongo" had already done some careful work along this line. My game would be to study this in detail and add notes and annotation. I have done this in the past for other processors and have found it to be extremely useful and instructive. Actually I have already began a bit of this and placed it here:

http://cholla.mmto.org/esp8266/bootrom/

I am busy on more.
By Tucson Tom
#38182 There are already a couple of small examples at the link, along with the current state of the whole thing I am working on. The first part was already done (a base disassembly) by Kongo, but it takes a lot of work and study to make any sense of that and you have to learn the ins and outs of the assembly language for the processor. My method is to make a lot of use of my favorite editor doing searches and adding comments whenever I figure something out. As I study and add comments it grow in value and understandability, at least for me. It is also a fascinating puzzle (for me at least).

I already learned something valuable (about access to the CCOUNT register that I have already used in some of my own code. Take a look and if you have questions or suggestions, by all means ask. If I am repeating other work though I would sure like to find out about it before I spend lots of time, though it is great fun.