Chat freely about anything...

By zdebel
#6568 Assuming what you said is true, using a pcb antenna is better for stationary devices while using a ceramic antenna is better for handheld devides due to lesser hand effect.
By ecotpl0721
gerardwr wrote:
gerardwr wrote:
ecotpl0721 wrote:and all that I can see is the RX led blink on the FT232RL, the ESP-07 just sits there with the blue power LED lit and no other activity at all. I have even tried several different FT232RL adapters with the same exact results.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here? :?:

Not really, I don't see any mistakes, you seem to be well informed on the use of the ESP, and you have already flashed new firmware, so basically it seems OK.

I have an ESP-01 running, and today I got an ESP-07 (from Banggood) "in". I just started connecting it.

Maybe my fresh ESP-07 experience helps, maybe not:
- On my ESP-7 (from Banggood) the Power LED is RED (not BLUE), it lights up when the power lines are connected (duh!)
- When powered on, and you then connect CH-PD to Vcc, the BLUE LED flashes shortly. On the ESP-01 the Blue led is connected to the ESP-TX line. It flashes because the bootloader is sending serial output on the ESP-TX line, guess it's the same for the ESP-07.
- If you don't see the BLUE LED flashing with these 3 connections, I guess you're in real trouble.

If the BLUE led flashes, I would:
1 - check that RX and TX on the USB-serial adapter is what you expect it to be. Often the TX and RX on usb-serial are labeled in reverse. If the adapter has LEDs on the TX and RX line, the LED on the receiving line should flash similar as the Blue LED on the ESP
2 - there should be some "gibberish" in your terminal from the ESP bootloader, its serial data with a weird baud rate. My ESP-07 sends this "gibberish" to the serial terminal. If you don't get this data in you terminal, either your connections are wrong, or the firmware on the ESP does not send bootloader to the serial port.
3 - After the "Gibberish" you should get "ready" when a proper AT firmware is flashed.
4 - Enter an AT command, the ESP hold respond with an OK. If that does not work, check that your serial terminal is set for CR/LF.

That's all the help I can give you right now, now returning to further connecting my own ESP-07. Nice board!!

20150107_140407.jpg

Power LED is blue on mine. The other LED flashes red when flashing it. GPIO15 and GND are soldered together if anyone asks.

Did they flip flop or simply use what was available on reels during the pick and place process?

I am determined to figure out why I am having issues. I have other 3.3v 500ma power supplies to test with later today as well as a CP2102 based USB UART RS232 TTL adapter.

I received some documents from the seller that I haven't seen floating around the web. I will be looking at those too.

FYI: GPIO15 is solder bridged to GND on the back side in case anyone is wondering.
Last edited by ecotpl0721 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tjclement
ecotpl0721 wrote:About antennas:
https://www.digikey.com/document-redirector?doc=https://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/Supplier%20Content/Pulse_553/PDF/pulse_ceramic-chip-antennas-vs-pcb-trace-antennas.pdf

I've come across that article before, but it doesn't seem to mention worse gain compared to trace antennas. If anything, it promotes ceramics as being the superior choice in most scenarios.
Has anyone else been able to measure different performance in the 01/12's and 03/07's?