Chat freely about anything...

By VK5OI
ArnieO wrote:
VK5OI wrote:Great stuff thanks!
I have it working fine when I test it with socket test, but I would really like to make it work bi-directionally...if that is correct?
I would like to use this to replace a serial connection with comms both ways, possibly by using a VCP (virtual comm port) driver or software.
Would this require an additional MCU or similar to handle the server/client stuff or am I missing something.

It *is* a transparent bridge, with serial comms in both directions between the comuter and an MCU or similar, connected to the Rx/Tx Lines of the ESP.

Thanks ArnieO
I wonder what I am doing wrong?
I can only seem to send to the ESP via TCP. This "comes out" the UART 100%
When I try to send back the other way, nothing.
To clarify, I am using a VCP (virtual comm port) program to create a virtual port (com10) via TCP (port 23) to the ESP.
This works, and it shows the flow of data on it's status scren.
I have 1 terminal "connected" to com10
I have another terminal connected to com4 (ESP UART) which is the port I flash the ESP with.
Both ports on the same computer.
Talking to this ESP via com4 works 100% for telnet, flashing, AT commands etc.
When I send chars from the vcp terminal (com10) they show on the VCP program and "appear" at com4 terminal via ESP UART.
When I enter chars at com4 term (ESP UART) they do not show at com10 or on the VCP status page.
It seems to me they do not know where to go?
I am connected to the ESP (which is in Mode 3) via its standard AP SSID directly from my pc not via a network or router.

I apologise if this is mind numbing for you, but I have so many legacy (and new) serial devices (most TTL, NOT RS232) that would benefit from this.

Thanks in advance for any comments, I suspect the issue is that I know a little but not quite enough.
BTW, this is my first exposure to Flashing firmware etc, so it is all a bit of a learning curve.
By VK5OI
eriksl wrote:You could for instance connect a MAX232 or similar IC to shift the levels to RS232 and then connect an "oldfashioned" modem or other serial device. Or connect an MCU using plain TTL/CMOS UART interface.

Thanks eriksl
Most of the devices I wish to connect to are TTL but I will need to shift the level to RS232 for some.
You would be amazed how many devices, both legacy and NEW still use serial comms.
My world is full of them, in both the industrial and private environments.
My brand new mobile amateur radio (Yaesu FT-857D) has an excellent array of features available via it's comm port, and it is still serial...
I have hundreds of devices I use at work that are still RS232 because there is no other reason to replace them.
You are right they are old fashioned.

Thanks again for your interest.
Cheers