Post topics, source code that relate to the Arduino Platform

By FilembarEliJeevan
#93874 I've had a look online but can't seem to find any good info on this.

I know a lot of people say that arduino isn't the best way to go for work with video but I'm experienced in using OctoPi (arduino based 3D printing platform that also features webcam streaming) so I know it's capable of doing what I want.

I'm pretty much after the basic video function of OctoPi but independent (not in and amongst all the 3D printing gubbins).

TL:DR: In an ideal world, what I'm after is a way of streaming 720p (or better) footage from a webcam via an Arduino over WiFi, that I can then somehow easily access via a local web address and log in details, then can watch the video.

Thanks for any help or tips anyone can offer
By Inq720
#93889 I'll second what btidey says.
  • I use OctoPi too and it's marginal on a RaspberryPi-Zero WiFi and it's running (I want to say 1.2GHz)... We're at 80 Mhz.
  • I don't recall the bit rate you'd need for 720p, but the best, I've seen with the ESP8266 is about 3.8 Mbit serving files and only about 1 Mbit doing WebSockets. Doing binary on the WebSocket and letting it buffer bigger packets, that might double. But... the ESP was not doing anything else.
  • You'd need to figure out some way to couple your ESP8266 to whatever is supplying the Video, say using SPI and that'd eat some of your CPU... not much, because SPI is implemented in hardware.
  • I think far more knowledgeable people than I have decided an ESP8266 won't cut it... thus ESP32-CAM. https://www.amazon.com/Weewooday-Pieces-Development-2-4GHz-Module/dp/B08RDP8LKP