Post topics, source code that relate to the Arduino Platform

By gsker
clwy wrote:Hey,

I am working on a project including an arduino nano and an esp8266 for several month now.
The esp8266 is going to drive me crazy since it is not working as I want it to do.

In the first setup I was using the blue esp8266. I was able to talk to the esp using the softwareserial library. After several tries I realized that esp's firmware has a bug what prevented me from using udp which is necessary for my project. I was also afraid of flashing a new firmware since I was not sure if it is working properly and at this time it was my only esp.

When I bought new ones, I got black esp8266s. There seems to be a difference between the blues and the blacks. Anyway, I was able to flash the newest firmware to one of the black esp and I could talk to it via putty. But when I connected it to my arduino I only received some trash (where the blue version was working perfectly before). And yes, I also changed the baud rate from 9600 to 115200.
In another post I found the information, that the baud rate of 115200 is the max limit of the softwareserial, so perhaps it is simply not possible what I wanted to achieve. I thought it would be an idea to change the baud rate of my esp to 9600. The last thing I received was an "ok". After that, the esp is not responding to a message on a baud rate of either 115200 or 9600. Is there a way to recover the esp or do a factory reset? :)

That's the point where I am now and it is very frustrating that it is still not working.
What I want to achieve: using an esp via the softwareserial library AND having the possibility to use udp.

I have 4 black esps left, so there is still room to experiment :)
It would be very helpful to talk to the black esp via the arduino. I guess, the solution is to set a new baud rate. But I am afraid of doing that again. However, what would have happened if I typed in 9500 instead of 9600 when trying to change the baudrate? Would it be possible? Perhaps I made a mistake.
Is there anyone using an arduino and a black esp? How is it done? :)

Regards!

The flash tool doesn't care about the speed set for the serial interface. Leave that at 115200 and reflash.