Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By fernando306
#33951 Hi There, how are you?

I am trying to be able to code / compile for the ESP8266, but I am struggling with the compiler.
I followed these steps and I successfully installed and built the SDK and toolchain for it:
https://github.com/pfalcon/esp-open-sdk

Then I downloaded a very simply blinky example and tried to compile. Please check the attached screenshot. I set all the directories correctly and it spits out the intermediate files .out, .a and .o just fine, I can find these in the "build" directory. However, seems that it does not generate the .bin files, because the "firmware" directory remains empty.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fernando306
#34017 Yes, you're right!, thank you!! All I had to do is add the esptool and xtensa bin to the PATH. Now I am able to compile and flash the blinky example. So toolchain is good and the hardware is good - result. :)

Next step I took was to download the esp-link 1.04 source code and try to compile that. However I get funny code specific erros, please check the attached screenshot. How can I fix this?

Edit: I know I need the SDK 1.3 to compile the esp-link project. If somebody could kindly guide me through the steps to get the compiler + SDK 1.3, I'd sincerely appreciate a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fernando306
#34272 Good news!

I did a clean install using the SDK 1.4 and tried to compile the 2.0 rc1 version of esp-link. It still didn't work. So I tried make --debug to see what the heck could possibly be wrong. It was asking for java, otherwise it would fail to create the espfs image. I installed Java and it compiled just fine. :)