Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By AusUser
#54116 Hi there, this is my first post and I'm keen to get my new ESP-12 working with Adruino IDE to do some basic projects with sensors and the on-board webserver.

I've followed the "How to get started with ESP8266 and Arduino IDE" and I have some communication issue with it. So my first questions should I flash the firmware? And what should i flash it with.

Thanks in advance.
By Orcanbull
#54132 HI AusUser,

Did you use the Correct pin configurations?, GPIO 0 low, GPIO15 LOW, GPOI2 HIGH and the RESET to be pressed before the program is flashed,

Or did you Select the ESP board in the Arduino IDE,
What error are you getting?
By AusUser
Orcanbull wrote:HI AusUser,

Did you use the Correct pin configurations?, GPIO 0 low, GPIO15 LOW, GPOI2 HIGH and the RESET to be pressed before the program is flashed,

Or did you Select the ESP board in the Arduino IDE,
What error are you getting?

Thanks for the reply.

The board has reset and flash button onboard. I successfully flashed the firmware with NodeMCU. Reinstalled Arduino and added the ESP8266 library.

I connected via serial monitor to get the following:

NodeMCU 0.9.5 build 20150318 powered by Lua 5.1.4
lua: cannot open init.lua

So it appears the reinstall fixed my original connection issues.

I tried my first sketch using some of the inbuilt example. But i seem to get the same error

Arduino: 1.6.11 (Windows 10), Board: "NodeMCU 0.9 (ESP-12 Module), 80 MHz, 9600, 4M (3M SPIFFS)"
Sketch uses 222,201 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,044,464 bytes.
Global variables use 31,576 bytes (38%) of dynamic memory, leaving 50,344 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81,920 bytes.
error: Failed to open COM3
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed