Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By ChrisH
#56072 I've switched from the Lua "environment" to programming my NodeMCU via the Arduino IDE.
While it works fine, I'd rather use another IDE (Atom, Atmel Studio etc..).
Even command lines tools that can be called from the IDE is fine.

So far, I haven't found a good option (that's worth the hassle..), any tips!?

It would be a plus if I could continue using the "arduino-libraries"*, but it's not a necessity (but pref. C++, because OO..)

I'm (sadly) on Windows.
By indev2
ChrisH wrote:I've switched from the Lua "environment" to programming my NodeMCU via the Arduino IDE.
While it works fine, I'd rather use another IDE (Atom, Atmel Studio etc..).
Even command lines tools that can be called from the IDE is fine.

So far, I haven't found a good option (that's worth the hassle..), any tips!?

It would be a plus if I could continue using the "arduino-libraries"*, but it's not a necessity (but pref. C++, because OO..)

I'm (sadly) on Windows.

Hi,

You mentioned the Atom editor, I've recently been playing with the Atom/Platformio package. Seems to do everything Arduino does and more. You can import all your Arduino style stuff, and continue to use the libraries you're now familiar with. There's a small learning curve, but you'll soon get the hang of it.
By ChrisH
Freeck wrote:I use visualgdb which is an add on for VisualStudio. Not License free, well documented, includes debugging options.

I took a look at VisualGDB, seems OK, but the fact that it's not free* (and that I could do all it does [more or less] with free tools) put me off it.

indev2 wrote:You mentioned the Atom editor, I've recently been playing with the Atom/Platformio package. [...] There's a small learning curve, but you'll soon get the hang of it.

Yeah, I found that (tried another package first, but that wasn't compatible with Windows).
Didn't find there was much of a learning curve, more of a "getting started curve". ;)
I had some troubles at first, but got it working after I switched python version..

It feels nice to use a "proper IDE", it has so many advantages over the Arduino "IDE" (sorry Arduino.. Your "IDE" works, but is very, simple).

(*I don't mind paying for something, if I make money using it and/or it's the best tool for the job.)