Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Squonk
jcmvbkbc wrote:So, reporting gcc status:

- no support for call0 ABI in current gcc;
- nobody in Cadence is currently working on implementing it;
- whether that support could be implemented by Cadence is discussed, my estimation that the answer would be positive is low.

Please insist in that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Cadence to have its XTensa architecture to reach the public!
By Sprite_tm
Squonk wrote:Please insist in that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Cadence to have its XTensa architecture to reach the public!

Agreed. If they still don't want to, is there a way they can release some docs disclosing the specifics of the CALL0 abi?
By Squonk
#412 Yes, although I suspect implementing this into GCC is non trivial...

But I really mean it: if they want the XTensa architecture to stand out and compete with ARM or MIPS core, this is the way to do it, now!

EDIT: actually, the XTensa GCC compiler in the VM is (somewhat) working, so if they can point us on one that was supposed to work, not necessarily the latest GCC.
By RichardS
Squonk wrote:
jcmvbkbc wrote:So, reporting gcc status:

- no support for call0 ABI in current gcc;
- nobody in Cadence is currently working on implementing it;
- whether that support could be implemented by Cadence is discussed, my estimation that the answer would be positive is low.

Please insist in that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Cadence to have its XTensa architecture to reach the public!

Espressif is talking with Cadence, they just met last week about this. I am in direct contact with CEO of Espressif. (he called me ;) )

Richard.