Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Sprite_tm
#161 Yes, as I said I tried extensively with crosstool-NG. Without hacks, it doesn't pick up the right overlay. Compiling C-files with the resulting toolchain will work OK, but linking them to the precompiled libraries in the example will give endian errors. With hacks to make it grab the right overlay, I haven't been able to get it to compile at all.
By jonsmirl
Sprite_tm wrote:Yes, as I said I tried extensively with crosstool-NG. Without hacks, it doesn't pick up the right overlay. Compiling C-files with the resulting toolchain will work OK, but linking them to the precompiled libraries in the example will give endian errors. With hacks to make it grab the right overlay, I haven't been able to get it to compile at all.

Do this procedure, after you pick Target Arch xtensa a new choice will appear at bottom which lets you pick the Architecture variant.
I attached my .config file.

./ct-ng menuconfig
Make the following changes (---> means to enter the sub-menu). We are assuming that the overlay tar image (OVERLAY_TARFILE) has been copied to ABSOLUTE_PATH_TO_OVERLAY. More information about the overlay file can be found here. Note that the processor configuration name is currently not used.
Target options --->
Target Architecture (xtensa)
Target Architecture Variant (Custom Xtensa processor configuration)
(PROCESSOR_NAME) Custom Xtensa process configuration name
(OVERLAY_TARFILE) Custom Xtensa overlay file name
(ABSOLUTE_PATH_TO_OVERLAY) Full path to custom Xtensa processor configurations

C-library --->
C library (none)