Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By mobyfab
#3022 Hey

I added the missing dll in the archive. It comes with mingw64.

You should use mingw instead of cygwin if you care about performance. If you need git, use msysgit which provides mingw as well.
You don't actually need any of these to run the compiler (it will run natively) but you need gnu make.

I will make a 32 bit compiler as well.
By terminator
#3047 Hey, thanks for this, i will update tutorial later. The reason i used cygwin is that some Makefiles for esp8266 projects were using absolute unix paths and called programs like /bin/cat and I wanted them to work too with as little modifications as possible.
It would be good to have some standard for Makefile variables, like XTENSA_TOOCHAIN(some people use XTENSA_TOOLS_ROOT), SDK_BASE, EXTRA_INCDIR, and also ESPTOOL.
There's also a problem with esptool, well, there are 2 esptools, one is esptool for creating firmware binaries and onther one is esptool.py for uploading binaries to device over serial. I saw some people are reffering with Makefile ESPTOOL variable to binary tool while others to esptool.py.
By marcus
mobyfab wrote:Hey

I added the missing dll in the archive. It comes with mingw64.

You should use mingw instead of cygwin if you care about performance. If you need git, use msysgit which provides mingw as well.
You don't actually need any of these to run the compiler (it will run natively) but you need gnu make.

I will make a 32 bit compiler as well.

hi..may I know when the win32 version will be available?
thanks ...
By samprice
#3434 Trying to compile on mac.
I am using the following branch lx106-g++
I get the following error though

[EXTRA] Building ISL
[DEBUG] ==> Executing: 'make' '-j9' '-l'
[ALL ] /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make all-recursive
[ALL ] Making all in .
[ALL ] make[3]: *** No rule to make target `include/isl/aff.h', needed by `all-am'. Stop.