Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Larry Battraw
#13963 Hi, I've been trying for some time to get nodemcu to compile under Linux. I've been successful with quite a few different packages for the ESP8266, but something is wrong with the Makefile under Linux, specifically the include path is never set and so I always get a "lua.h" file not found:

# make
../Makefile:124: warning: overriding commands for target `clean'
Makefile:162: warning: ignoring old commands for target `clean'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lcb/esp_sources/nodemcu-firmware/app'
../../Makefile:124: warning: overriding commands for target `clean'
../Makefile:162: warning: ignoring old commands for target `clean'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/lcb/esp_sources/nodemcu-firmware/app/user'
../../../Makefile:124: warning: overriding commands for target `clean'
../../Makefile:162: warning: ignoring old commands for target `clean'
DEPEND: /opt/Espressif/crosstool-NG/builds/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc -M -Os -g -O2 -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Werror -Wl,-EL -fno-inline-functions -nostdlib -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals -D__ets__ -DICACHE_FLASH user_main.c
user_main.c:11:17: fatal error: lua.h: No such file or directory
#include "lua.h"
^
compilation terminated.
/opt/Espressif/crosstool-NG/builds/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc -Os -g -O2 -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Werror -Wl,-EL -fno-inline-functions -nostdlib -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals -D__ets__ -DICACHE_FLASH -o .output/eagle/debug/obj/user_main.o -c user_main.c
user_main.c:11:17: fatal error: lua.h: No such file or directory
#include "lua.h"
^
compilation terminated.

I'm using the latest version of the open SDK build script for all the tools (And have even completely rebuilt it from a fresh clone), and the latest git for nodemcu. I've tried messing around with the Makefile but kept running into problems because of the tricky way they inherit values within all the nested Makefiles, and I could never make it change CFLAGS/CCFLAGS to manually include the app/XXX directories for headers. I've attached the output from a debug run of make. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or I've omitted anything important.

Best wishes,
Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.