Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By mamalala
obvy wrote:So, tell us again:

1. Why do you duplicate themadinventor's work: https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool ? His app is written in sane language which just work without any "compiles" and easy to hack on spot.
2. Why do you stir confusion in the community by using the same name as themadinventor's tool?
3. Why do you keep throwing random tarballs (which even include binaries (and every time someone thinks about binaries on the internets, one should think about trojaned binaries) ) - in a world which uses git for a decade or so?

Thanks for your great work otherwise!

1) Do you ask the same stupid questions to people wo write some software that includes functionality of some other software from someone else, just because you don't like the language they used? And given that this is a tool that is used for something that by itself requires fimrware to be compiled, your "without any compiles" makes you look rather silly.

2) Believe it or not, i started work on it before i saw his tool. Just did not have something to put online yet. Plus, i pretty much name all my tools for small things in the same *tool fashion. And funny enough, it does things that esptool.py does not. Got a problem with that? Too bad for you.

3) Because i can. Now, care to tell me what trojan is able to not only fir into an otherwise "working as expected" binary of about 20k size, but which also seem to require exactly no extra space at all if one would compare the result of compiling the sources themselves to the given binary?

Funny how on one side you complain that "meh, sources that one has to compile first!", only to then complain "meh, the already compiled program is included as well". If you don't like the stuff, son't use it. It's as simple as that. No one is forcing you otherwise.

Instead of stupid ramblings, you could have taken the sourcecode and put it on the ESP8266 github repository, for example. But then, that would require that you actually do something instead of engaging in silly armchair ranting.

Greetings,

Chris

Edit: Oh, and not everyone may want to get git stuff working to get the source from there. Heck, they may not even like github and not want to go there at all. Attaching the stuff in question to a post is simply a matter of convenience to those people. As is the inclusion of a ready to use binary. Ever thought of that?
Last edited by mamalala on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mamalala
reaper7 wrote:@mamalala - tnx for the update!

BTW. You're planning modify Your Makefiles from topic "New Makefile for the SDK, new tool to create firmware files"
for support flashing directly from makefile? like make flash ?

Yes, i plan to do so once i got the tool a cleaned up a bit better. Others have allso made contributions to the Makefile that will go into it. Will probably make a new thread for it then, and later put it up on github as well.

Greetings,

Chris
By obvy
2) Believe it or not, i started work on it before i saw his tool.

Of course that's how it happened. I was almost sure, but decided to ask after all.

1) Do you ask the same stupid questions to people wo write some software that includes functionality of some other software from someone else

Of course I do. There's existing tool which calls for more testing and contribution (already on github). Yet someone puts own his stuff with initially lacking functionality. That's not exactly smart action, and leads to unsmart questions.

something that by itself requires fimrware to be compiled, your "without any compiles" makes you look rather silly.

It's simple actually - you compile what you have to compile (like embedded firmware) and try not to compile something which can be not compiled - like flashing utility. One reason for that is that there's still a lot to be compiled anyway (newlib, remember?) that wasting time on duplicating work and unneeded compiles doesn't look smart.

Now, care to tell me what trojan is able to not only fir into an otherwise "working as expected" binary of about 20k size

I dunno, dude, what viruses may be rampaging on your system and infecting all binaries without even you knowing that.

If you don't like the stuff, son't use it. It's as simple as that. No one is forcing you otherwise.
Instead of stupid ramblings, you could have taken the sourcecode and put it on the ESP8266 github repository,

Yep, but before doing that, I would need to understand why the heck there's 2nd tool which appear to (finally) do what another does. That's why asking. And it's not just about me - there's already enough mess with the info, sources, and binaries, so people gotta be confused, and someone needs to try to unconfuse it.

Oh, and not everyone may want to get git stuff working to get the source from there. Heck, they may not even like github and not want to go there at all. Attaching the stuff in question to a post is simply a matter of convenience to those people. As is the inclusion of a ready to use binary. Ever thought of that?

But it's oh-so-obvious! I thought not just about that, but about next level of matters, like: 1) duplicating work in the community is unsmart; 2) giving people extra trivial choices without good info how they differentiate leads to confusion; 3) doing random code drops is subpar comparing to providing central place for people to take source from and submit patches/bugreports; 4) for the growing of active community, it's better to motivate people to compile stuff themselves, instead of doing false courtesy of throwing binaries at them.
By rudi
obvy wrote:.....

i have finnished my work today because i want upload the video.

..Done !

without the "duplicate" or ever you named this - i would never - never never so clear in esp8266 that i can make this.
and!
my doing in this goes wide- i am finnsihed with ADC, SPI Writting, Reading, and included AES256 looping for stupid firmware cracker at boot with combinied ChIP ID.

all was not finnished, if not mamalala make forward the work in esptools.

i wish i can better english - so please understand - my sympatie at your words to / over the work of esptool mamalala - is null ...your post =>\dev\ NULL

best wishes
rudi
germany