Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By mamalala
obvy wrote:Of course I do. There's existing tool which calls for more testing and contribution (already on github). Yet someone puts own his stuff with initially lacking functionality. That's not exactly smart action, and leads to unsmart questions.

Yes, i know that esptool.py lacks the functionality to produce proper firmware images from the ELF file that the linker finally generates. Which is where i started out with my tool: handling ELF object files so that in the end there will be a one-stop tool that does all that is needed to get from the .out file to a programmed ESP chip.

obvy wrote:It's simple actually - you compile what you have to compile (like embedded firmware) and try not to compile something which can be not compiled - like flashing utility. One reason for that is that there's still a lot to be compiled anyway (newlib, remember?) that wasting time on duplicating work and unneeded compiles doesn't look smart.

Haha. Given that comment of yours, i already know who's not looking so smart.

obvy wrote:I dunno, dude, what viruses may be rampaging on your system and infecting all binaries without even you knowing that.

Unless you know exactly what my setup is, what i do with it, how i maintain it, etc., it would be better if you avoid making silly implications.

obvy wrote:Yep, but before doing that, I would need to understand why the heck there's 2nd tool which appear to (finally) do what another does. That's why asking. And it's not just about me - there's already enough mess with the info, sources, and binaries, so people gotta be confused, and someone needs to try to unconfuse it.

And now it's rather obvious that you don't really know what my tool does. As to the remainder of that comment, here's a novel idea for you: get out of your armchair and actually do something productive. You know, like collecting the spread-out information, organize it and put it up on the ESP wiki on github.

Oh, and why the heck do multiple editors exist that basically all do the same: editing files? Why are there multiple operating systems? Multiple office suites? I hope you get the idea where i'm going with this. Unless you think that diversity is a bad idea and everything should be single source only. Now _that_ would be really stupid, don't you think?

obvy wrote:But it's oh-so-obvious! I thought not just about that, but about next level of matters, like: 1) duplicating work in the community is unsmart; 2) giving people extra trivial choices without good info how they differentiate leads to confusion; 3) doing random code drops is subpar comparing to providing central place for people to take source from and submit patches/bugreports; 4) for the growing of active community, it's better to motivate people to compile stuff themselves, instead of doing false courtesy of throwing binaries at them.

You don't have that concept of "getting things straight" really figured out it seems. First, it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with my tool. Like, reading the README that is included. That should help you with figuring out what it does. Then you could compare that to what esptool.py does. Next, instead of silly rambling you get your bum up and put the code on the ESP github, if it bothers you that much.

And finally, the irony of you first saying "... try not to compile something ... unneeded compiles ..." and then saying "... better to motivate people to compile stuff themselves ..." surely isn't lost on me. But then, trolls gonna do what trolls do, so i'm not really surprised that you don't get your stuff straight.

Also, this was the last i have to say to. Stay in your comfy armchair, doing nothing but silly rambling instead of doing something productive, if you like. I prefer to do more productive stuff. If that bothers you, tough luck for you.

Greetings,

Chris
By AdrianClark
#1738 Thanks very much mamalala for this tool, it's really been quite invaluable for the ESP development I'm doing at the moment.

I have one question though, For some reason when I try flash both the 0x00000.bin and 0x40000.bin I have to power cycle the board in between or it's unable to flash the second bin. Is this typical? If so, is there any way that the chip can be reset from software so that I could flash everything in software without physically touching the device? I have the flashing included as part of my makefile build chain, and it would be really nice just to be able to issue one command to compile and flash everything without having to power cycle the device.
By konrad282
AdrianClark wrote:is there any way that the chip can be reset from software so that I could flash everything in software without physically touching the device?

If you use the FTDI cable, connect the RTS pin to CH_PD and CTS pin to RESET on your module.
The esptool-0.0.3 should automatically reboot ESP8266 into bootloader mode and back to normal mode after flashing.