Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Claude
jonsmirl wrote:The Xtensa core used in the ESP8266 has support in OpenOCD. OpenOCD works with common ARM JTAG units. JTAG is the same everywhere so these 'ARM' JTAGs should work on the ESP8266 too.

JTAG has several advantages. It can use several different schemes to program the flash chip. JTAG can also provide source level debugging and single step. OpenOCD is already integrated with gdb.

As soon as someone get some hardware it would interesting to see what you can do with OpenOCD.

Could you point me to the version of OpenOCD you found which supports Xtensa cores? I only find some old discussions about it on http://lists.linux-xtensa.org/pipermail/openocd-xtensa/ :(
The hardware is here on my table , just need OpenOCD now
By tinhead
#1511 none of the version between 0.1.0 and 0.8.0, they simply don't know any tensilica nor xtensa target.

It could be easier to use the "Xtensa OCD Daemon 8.0.1" (the one provided with the VM) and that provided SDK to create own control driver, as said here :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12&p=1400&hilit=jtag#p1400
By Claude
#1593 Yes thats also what was told to me at the openocd irc channel.
Still wondering if johnsmirl just misread/misunderstood something or if he found openocd with xtensa support somewhere...

Would be great to have debugging on the ESP and if I knew that beforehand that no official openocd support for xtensa exists I wouldn't had
put this expensive FT2232H on my devboard (And ordered the parts) . But well thats alone my fault ;) I didn't checked that before and took some forum claims for serious .... :oops: