Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By cal
#23047 $0,02

just as you don't run a c compiler on your esp8266 you don't need one to write an oberon compiler.
You just write it in oberon. You don't even need to boot strap the compiler because it will be a running on you pc.

Cal
By kenn
cal wrote:$0,02

just as you don't run a c compiler on your esp8266 you don't need one to write an oberon compiler.
You just write it in oberon. You don't even need to boot strap the compiler because it will be a running on your pc.

Understood. And no doubt someone could write Firefox in assembler. So, here are my reasons for raining on this particular parade:

1- Oberon - I have no reason to doubt it's an amazing language. BUT - where are the libraries, the frameworks, the IDEs, the internet full of mature examples?
2- What has this got to do with ESP8266?

Don't mind me. Just old and cynical. ;-)
By captbill
Understood. And no doubt someone could write Firefox in assembler. So, here are my reasons for raining on this particular parade:

1- Oberon - I have no reason to doubt it's an amazing language. BUT - where are the libraries, the frameworks, the IDEs, the internet full of mature examples?
2- What has this got to do with ESP8266?

Don't mind me. Just old and cynical. ;-)

Actually Oberon is a teaching language. It is designed for teaching ADVANCED operating design at the Swiss Institute of Technology. There are indeed many flavors of Oberon and, yes, details and documentation can seem rather sparse for each one. But the whole idea is to have a language that you learn directly from THE MANUAL which is all you need.

In fact, "the manual" is not your ordinary manual. It is like a manual that has a type of "certification for manuals" standard it keeps. In adheres to the EBNF standard, which once you understand, you really don't need the manual. It defines the manual in a condensed, stepwise refined manner. In other words, even the manual is something to behold.

Mature examples? The only two books you need to track down were published back in 1992, with ALL you really need, and frankly all you really want :

The Oberon System: User Guide and Programmers Manual by Martin Reiser ACM Press
Programming in Oberon: Steps Beyond Pascal and Modula by Wirth/Reiser ACM Press

The most concise collection online is the Astrobe Oberon manual files. It is geared more towards microcontrollers.

What does it have to do with the ESP8266? Unfortunately, only a preview of "what could be" if someone with some understanding of the underlying RISC OS, the Tensilica OS, were to set up the Oberon "target" files. It's mostly just mapping out registers and giving the compiler understanding of the Tensilica Os. This will require interest from the ESP8266 team and/or the Tensilica chip manufacturer. I tried to register an account to get a peek at the internals but it require a corporate e-mail account and formal registration.

Take a look at the I made to learn Oberon. I dove strait into the deep end and am working on getting the RA8875 TFT driver running. The SSD1306 too! They are actually real close to actually working. It's messy with comments but it all compiles. Not bad for an Oberon newb. So you can expect to have good graphics here soon.

Here is the RA8875 on an STM32 MCU:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/cwCxkLZRuN0[/youtube]

https://github.com/billbuzzell/RA8875_Oberon/blob/master/RA8875_b.mod
https://github.com/billbuzzell/SSD1306_OLED/blob/master/SSD1306_OLED.mod