Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Fadi
#2163 Thanks.

I have been at it for a couple of days with no real progress.
the only thing I have yet to try is the esptool, which I think I will in the next few hours.
kind of a last thing to try.

What i have used so far is the xtcom tool and the multi (batch bin) upload tool. (even combined the firmware)
At firmware (compiled)
IoT demo firmware (compiled)
Simplistic custom firmware (compiled)

all failed to boot correctly.

Fadi
By gerardwr
Fadi wrote:the only thing I have yet to try is the esptool, which I think I will in the next few hours.

Fingers crossed!

My "assignment" for this week is getting esptool.py to communicate to my ESP8266.

Considering your experience with self-built code I initially intend to use a pre-build binary that is known to work for others. Like the latest firmware from Espressif.

I assume that you have tried that successfully?

BTW, do you use the Lubuntu VM, or another platform?
By Fadi
#2184 @gbit
Incidentally, I was looking at the board just before checking the forums. and Indeed it is the EX chip. ESP8266EX.

@gerardwr,
I tried esptool.py without much success just like the other tools.
Actually I did try the IoT Demo and the AT firmware in the SDK (both standard as is, without modification to code) and failed to work.

I was able to flash the 0.2.2 firmware that is just a single file (not two bins) found on some websites providing the updated firmware, but
now I can't get it to flash again. Not sure if I bricked it or not. (if that is even possible! based on what I read, we should not be able to).