Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By noop
#2782 I suspect the bootloader was intended for a variant of the Windbond W25Q40B flash chip.
Uniform Sector Erase (4K bytes)
Uniform Block Erase (32K and 64K)
Program one to 256 bytes

However, the cheap modules I have seem to use a different flash chip version (look like GD25Q40BTIG) that may be incompatible with the current bootloader region write mode. I had failed to write the two identical memory regions with the same bins using both the Windows utility and esptool.py.
Yet when written as a single bin stream it works fine.

Given this issue, there is likely a memory sector alignment erasure that partially corrupts writes using the two step method.
It should be noted however, that not all modules suffer this issue and it may be possible to include a test in the flash utility sub in the future.
I think it is safe to assume that the module configurations and quality will vary based on the order lot.

The linker script I use only has the io pins added.
linker_with_GPIO_io.zip

It would be fantastic if people with these units can achieve “hello world” project complexity.
Also, linking inline audio samples as bins can be handy later on too.
;-)

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.