Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By llave6silla
#3349 I would like to be able to debug and simulate firmware with the IDE that comes with the VM.

I have installed the "NO-VM" and fixed the license. I can open Xtensa Xplorer without problems, however, I have not managed to set up a project properly nor debug or simulate a thing. Of course I have read thoughtfully all the related posts. I believe that some people like tinhead viewtopic.php?f=9&t=142&p=747&hilit=xtensa+xplorer#p747 , maybe mamalala, and some others have used Xtensa Xplorer successfully.

I (and surely others too), would greatly appreciate if you could briefly explain how to do it (i.e put SDK files & folders here, put this other files in a folder for your project, follow this steps to create a new project in Xplorer and follow this other steps to debug your code).

Thanks a lot in advance
By gbit
#3579 What do you want to simulate? Cadence provides a simulator for the processor core, but unless Espressif has provided a simulator model for the whole chip (which is presumably not an easy thing -- is there any evidence of it? I haven't searched), you won't be able to simulate anything to do with I/O, flash, WiFi, etc.
By llave6silla
#3625 Right, for sure they have that simulation model. No company develops a SoC without very accurate simulation models for every part of the design. It would be many times more expensive if they had to polish their product in a trial-error fashion. A different story is whether if they will release them to the general public, under NDA or not at all. (Hopefully they'll make it available for everyone!)

Nevertheless I am not aiming that high. I would like to know at least how to setup the project properly in Xtensa Xplorer, run the program step by step, maybe check the variables and be warned about coding mistakes.

Someone who has done this under Xtensa Xplorer or another IDE, could you please tell us the steps needed?

Regards