Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By scargill
#5870 The Eclipse solution is MILES better for Windows - I think people may need help with understanding make files however. I insttalled Eclipse on one machine (Windows 7) and it worked perfectly but on 2 others this weekend, compiling the MQTT software we ran up against strange file errors and had to comment out part of the make file to make it work - also I have NO idea what the online updating is about I've seen it work with the early AT software, where you could punch in a code into the ESP8266 and it would update automatically (that doesn't seem to update very well recently) - but have no idea how I might make that work with other software or my own updates. If anyone wants to help explain that, would be appreciated.

On the other hand, once we DID get Eclipse working, yesterday we played with the MQTT software and to be honest I think this has the most potential of the lot as essentially any ESP-01 can talk to any other ESP-01 via the MQTT broker. The only problem with that is understanding the pesky IBM broker who's instructions are attrocious - having gotten the basic version working yesterday we could in no way get the plain text password version to work - I think tha'ts more the MOSQUITTO setup than the ESP-01s.

But as a demonstration of how useful the Eclipse setup is - I borrowed the port setting instructions from one setup, brouhgt them into the MQTT package and trapped messages "GPIO2 ON" and "GPIO2 OFF" and successfully had the MQTT turning a light on and off - also although the author had not actually used SENDING a message, I ran that and on receipt of a message had one ESP-01 send a message to another instantly and reliably... that is a MAJOR step forward. I'll detail this once we get to grips with passwords in MQTT as I would not dare use this without them.

To make MQTT work however we need a decent client for Android phones for testing as the only one that is out there "My MQTT" is awful, it does't reconnect to a server if it loses the signal, it can only talk to one server and can't store the details of another etc. I found a library for 10 euros for B4A (Basic for Android) which we're considering getting to make our own Android MQTT client with some presets etc, essential for testing. I just hope there are no last minute surprises with the MQTT code.. of and if anyone knows of an MQTT public server that is cheap/free and doesn't put silly limits or zero security, I'd love to hear from them - I fancy sending simple codes around ESP-01 boards with extras like a globally-subscribed TIME message etc. I could see these boards with i2c and MQTT attaching to a range of devices if only this works securely and reliably.

Did I trigger anyone off :-)

alonewolfx2 wrote:I still think CHERTS's Eclipse esp IDE better than cygwin for Windows and it can compile even nodemcu.
By alonewolfx2
#5871 I don't know mqtt but I don't like public server things. I am trying to make network just with esp's. Now I am using freertos SDK and socket connection. One server on the esp01 and my clients esp03. My clients creating socket server and waiting for commands. I am sending commands to the main esp01 server and it send to the client's. But! I am managing in adress with my router. I am trying to make without router. For now, I can't change softap with freertos.
By MarekB
#5879 I was able to make the toolchain work in Windows with Pete's instructions - http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=911#p5113
It uses mingw instead of cygwin. You don't have to use Visual Studio, create/modify the source files in any editor you like and then compile with make.
By peteben
#5909 I am quite familiar with the frustration you experienced!
That is why I have posted some information in the new wiki that should allow anyone to get started in Windows.
Thanks, MarekB for being my beta tester. :) I think you will find the updated version even easier.

Let me know if it helps.

Pete