Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By id_IOT
Olovskos wrote:Trying since hours now... sometimes working sometimes not.

Here is the question: Why does the starting guide tell to put the eagle.irom0text.bin to 0x40000, the My Espressif DevKit for Windows wants to put it to 0x10000 and the gen_misc.sh tells to put in 0x20000?

Thx

Hi, I'm having the same issues with RTOS. Have been trying for hours with different addresses, etc.

I'm trying the esp_rtos_sdk_example on an ESP-12F. When it runs all I get is:
Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x40100000, len 27216, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0x66
load 0x3ffe8000, len 940, room 8
tail 4
chksum 0xd3
load 0x3ffe83b0, len 1092, room 4
tail 0
chksum 0x96
csum 0x96

I have successfully run NONOS examples, so apparently I'm doing something right. Can anyone here confirm that they have succeeded in running any RTOS SDK examples?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
By KevinA
#55642 It's been fun. After a day for reading and installing, cleaning and compiling I've come to the same results I ran into two years ago; Not ready for prime time yet. I have several 4Mb (201/01) devices that no longer work, can't get anything to load and run so I figured why not load the .2 version of the AT code? I beat that to death with time today, when I figured out where to change the make file to use SDK_094 and tried to compile the Examples/at_v0.20_on_SDKv0.9.4 it blew up. It appears being cheap has it's draw backs, while a WiFi device may cost $$ from Mouser in the US at least the SDK's work and are documented with healthy forums supporting users.
I have to thank Chert for the effort he's invested to getting his Dev-Kit functional - I just wish there was something on where to change what for different flash sizes, SDK's and how to disable OTA from being included.
The memory mapping stuff has got to be fixed, I doubt any three people can say how it works and have what they say match.
Update: I noticed a zipped file called ESP8266_AT_master.zip, I unzipped it and found all the files and memory mapping I needed to get my ESP8266-201/01 devices working again, I thought. I started with the ESP8266-201 devices to discover that they would break while uploading the firmware at different points. After 6 or 7 tries I got the first one done, the second one was the same way. I have a separate 1 amp power supply for the device, the FTDI device just provides DTR/RTS/TX/RX. The NODEmcu devices all program without issues, my breadboard is an M102 but I'm using 2" jumpers with Dupont pins to make connections instead of the hard wire type of jumpers.
Update:
Just finished flashing my ESP8266-01's - same issues

Update:
Tried Nodemcu programmer, latest version, it only took two tries, the first time it just hung without any error message. The second time it completed the flash but after booting the 01 it would not run. I tried several times with the same results, NodeMCU programmer is not programming the device correctly.
Next is the Python programmer that I'm not certified to run :cry:

After setting up a Ubuntu desktop, installing everything I needed I found esptool.exe :o
Worked first try, well almost, had to add -cd ck and then it worked at 115200
So I tried the NodeMCU image:
It loaded without an issue but:
load 0x40100000, len 28436, room 16
It is trying to load something from an address above 1 gigabyte !

Lessons learned: esptool will program these devices with out fail, Espressif's flash tool will program the devices with many tries, NodeMCU just fails.
This is only testing ESP8266-201/01 devices - For NodeMCU devices NodeMCU programmer did get the latest 1.54 loaded after many tries, the init thing.
By NDE
#55831 I'm trying to get the hackitt _mqtt_dev up and running, but it seems to build but falls over when trying to program the devices.

this bit in the make file seems to fail

Code: Select allflash_1MB_init: all
   $(PYTHON) dtr.py $(ESPPORT)
   $(ESPTOOL) -p $(ESPPORT) -b $(ESPBAUD) write_flash $(FLASH_OPTS) 0x00000 $(RBOOT_BIN) 0x02000 $(RBOOT_ROM_0)  0x0FE000 $(NEWSTUFF)/blank.bin 0x0FC000 $(NEWSTUFF)/esp_init_data_default.bin 

this is the error produced.
Code: Select all20:02:56 **** Build of configuration Default for project hackitt_mqtt_dev ****
mingw32-make.exe -f C:/Users/neil/workspace/hackitt_mqtt_dev/Makefile flash_1MB_init
C:\Python27\python.exe dtr.py COM6

Reset issued
c:/espressif/utils/esptool.exe -p COM6 -b 230400 write_flash -fs 32m -ff 80m -fm qio 0x00000 firmware/rboot.bin 0x02000 firmware/romx.bin  0x0FE000 c:/Espressif/esp8266_sdk/bin/blank.bin 0x0FC000 c:/Espressif/esp8266_sdk/bin/esp_init_data_default.bin 
C:/Users/neil/workspace/hackitt_mqtt_dev/Makefile:276: recipe for target 'flash_1MB_init' failed
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, c:/espressif/utils/esptool.exe -p COM6 -b 230400 write_flash -fs 32m -ff 80m -fm qio 0x00000 firmware/rboot.bin 0x02000 firmware/romx.bin 0x0FE000 c:/Espressif/esp8266_sdk/bin/blank.bin 0x0FC000 c:/Espressif/esp8266_sdk/bin/esp_init_data_default.bin, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

mingw32-make.exe: *** [flash_1MB_init] Error 2

20:03:04 Build Finished (took 7s.916ms)

can't find what file it cannot find, they seem to be where it is looking for them. Can anyone give me a few pointers as to where to look or what the problem is?

i find the make files very hard to understand but i'm working on it.