Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By peteben
#5570 @Berniem: I understand your scenario. I don't want to complicate the applications further, my goal was that they could still be used independently, as before. What I could do is add a command line parameter to Termie that would allow you to set the COM port (also the baud rate, etc.). That way you could set up a batch file that could:
  • Set an environment variable like ESPCOM with the port name
  • start Termie with the right port on the command line
  • Start a command prompt or Devstudio

Something like:
Code: Select all@echo off
set ESPCOM=%1
Termie -c %ESPCOM%,74880,n,8,1 -p TERMPIPE-%ESPCOM%
devenv

Then your makefile would know which COM port to use. It would also be possible for Termie to use a different pipe name in such a case, so that you could then run multiple instances.

Would this help?

Pete
By berniem
#5577 For my particular scenario, I don't know that creating a batch file and then futzing with commandline parameters gets me enough of what I'm looking for. In the instances where I'm switching ports on the fly, I don't want to have to exit out of TERMIE just to restart the batch file. Plus, as you're aware, the environment variable would pass to DEVENV.EXE (which, of course, is why you're launching it from the batch file) and so Visual Studio would have to be restarted every time as well to ensure that the MAKE.EXE process started from within Visual Studio also gets the new value for the environment variable. (I realize YOU already know this stuff, peteben, I mention it for other readers that might not know it and that want to follow along with the discussion.)

The information of what COMx port number is being used is dynamic, and I'm looking to minimize the work I need to do every time it changes - even if the frequency of change becomes "rarely". :-)

I can just make the mod to ESPTOOL-PY and TERMIE myself along the lines of: a) if the TERMIE named pipe exists, ESPTOOL-PY will get the COMx port, baud, etc from the pipe (if possible); b) otherwise it will use the hard-coded parms. So, TERMIE will work standalone just fine because if it's never asked for the port info, it won't offer it, and ESPTOOL-PY is ok standalone because if the port info is not available from TERMIE, it'll use the hard-coded values just like it's doing now. It's added functionality/value with no downsides that I can see. (Other than the one-time cost of a little bit of my development time. :-) )

Thank you for considering the idea, though!
- berniem
By peteben
#5840 I guess it depends on how often you need to switch com ports. The only time I need to do that is if I put my setup away after finishing a project and come back to it some time later, so not very often. If you do make those changes, consider posting them, as there are probably other users who could benefit.
Thanks,

Pete
By markbee
#7000 I tried to follow the instructions on the webpage wiki/doku.php?id=setup-windows-compiler-esp8266 and everything runs fine until doing a make of the xPL-project. I looks like a directory or path error - but I double checked the directories and the Makefile and can't find any errors. System path is set as per instructions. Any help?

This is the error:

C:\ESP8266\Apps\xPL-ESP8266>make
CC user/Debounce.c
In file included from C:\ESP8266\esp_iot_rtos_sdk-master/include/freertos/portab
le.h:318:0,
from C:\ESP8266\esp_iot_rtos_sdk-master/include/freertos/FreeRT
OS.h:87,
from user/Debounce.c:30:
C:\ESP8266\esp_iot_rtos_sdk-master/include/freertos/portmacro.h:75:33: fatal err
or: xtensa/xtruntime.h: No such file or directory
#include <xtensa/xtruntime.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [build/user/Debounce.o] Error 1

markbee