By RichardS
#43118 User
nikant

Description
In my work I need a FAX machine. It's obsolete in most parts of the world but in this case it's needed. A lot of times rushing out of the office I forgot to switch the FAX machine to fax-only-mode so that it would receive any fax automatically. In this machine this is activated by a toggle button on it.

----

The solution:
I had to make something to push the FAX button remotely when necessary.
A servo and a piece of plastic cut in shape to push the button where hot-glued together. I could use the NodeMCU directly to actuate the servo but unfortunately my router and the FAX machine are two rooms apart and the esp8266/NodeMCU couldn't penetrate the walls to connect to the WiFi.

So an Arduino was used to actuate the servo once and a 433MHz controlled socket to power on the Arduino (and yes I am aware that one shouldn't power the servo from the Arduino directly, avoid it, I'm a bad example).

Usage goes like this:
- esp8266/NodeMCU has a webserver which is open to the web via a DDNS service
- a command is given to esp8266/NodeMCU
- esp8266/NodeMCU sends the proper 433MHz code to power ON the socket
- remote control socket receives code and powers on
- Arduino is set to execute once a servo movement and press the button on the FAX machine
- esp8266/NodeMCU sends the proper 433MHz code to power OFF the socket

----

Notes:
The esp8266 webserver page uses a form and not buttons.
This is done mostly for some obscurity along with the fact that each refresh of the page has a 5 second delay (those are my quirks).
Also with that I decided that I could control more 433MHz devices (other sockets, my wireless doorbell :p etc.) with different commands submitted in the form and that is coded also in the NodeMCU sketch.

Parts
-- 1 NodeMCU with ESP-12E
-– 1 Arduino UNO (because it was available, could be replaced with other flavor)
-– 1 mini servo
–- 1 remote control 433MHz socket
–- 433MHz transmitter (+ receiver, they come in pairs) FS1000A
–- power adapters for the Arduino and the NodeMCU
–- Arduino IDE with what is needed to program esp8266 devices

Links

Video

Images
Attachments
(486 Bytes) Downloaded 631 times
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
esp-nikant-01.jpg