Tell me what you want, What you really, really want.

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#47087 I have been kind of holding back on this a little because really things needed to be a bit more focused in the mmiscool espbasic section of the forum needed a stronger dedication to the firmware more than anything but I feel we have nearly reached a point to become a bit more organized and contain another section.

The section should be labeled hardware. While I cannot speak to be some hardware or software genius I am starting to see quite a few hardware related questions pile up in general. Maybe a more appropriate title would be hardware and hardware interfaces would be an appropriate title.

Here it would be nice to discuss different hardware available for useage of the esp8266 and the interfacing of espbasic such as 1wire, serial, errr I don't recall the other right now off the top of my head but this is shaping up to be something earth shaking already to be rather honest and it would never hurt to have a couple of hardware gurus out there answering questions.

We should in reality create a listing of driver supported hardware right out of the box.

With the advent of cicciocb sharing some of his new hardware support for IR and lame me not knowing about gpio expansion I am fairly sure there is all kinds of hardware out there to do some amazing stuff with espbasic.

It would be cool even if people who sold hardware got on board and shared different modules, videos, and code it would not only improve our forum but it may cause a roll out of new hardware from vendors that will be made compatible with basic via some code examples and a hardware interface already available etc 1 wire etc. This forum would give the chance for vendors to advertise to some degree but at the same time it would allow the public to know what is available and how to use it via a project example implementation. Even if a single vendor never spoke a word just the ability to keep hardware discussions organized is not a bad thing.
Last edited by forlotto on Sun May 29, 2016 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By livetv
#48149 I'm with you on this. While you can find answers to most hardware questions elsewhere, the characteristics of the interpreter may come into play.

Hardware design with the interpreter may differ from other implementations of the ESP8266. Examples: When using BASIC, it is important to know which GPIOs you should use and which ones you should not use. There's the servo command which looks straightforward, but how do you physically connect the servo? What's a good and simple way to connect an LCD display? There are multiple ways to add stepper motors, but some are not well suited to this environment.

You can search these out elsewhere on the internet, but sometimes the solution needs to fit the constraints of the interpreter. I think this warrants space here.

Anybody thought about putting a wiki together?
By forlotto
#48166 pwo works fine with certain pinouts

In my guide I tell you which pinouts work for on/off the best and which ones to avoid as well... I assume that this should go the same basically for PWO as well keep this in mind these pins should only be messed with once the device has booted upon reset a connection to these pins will cause problems such as no boot etc I researched this fairly well with my own trial and error needing to make use of DIO mode and have 8 useful GPIO's

The interesting thing to note is that there are hardware solutions out there even for pwo and many are not aware of them as solutions because there really is an immense amount of modules that can now interface ...

They make GPIO expanders with PWO capabilities until cicciocb said something about GPIO expansion I'll be rather honest I was in the dark about it.

This is why it would be great it would allow hardware vendors the chance to promote their hardware by explaining how to interface with it and tell you that it exists and what it does there are so many solutions out there that I am sure we all are just not aware of. Can't wait for my newest easy solution I found for my AC unit a powerswitchtail II to come in the mail a prefabbed relay more or less that will interface with basic can you use other cheaper solutions yes will they work as well possibly I really don't know but someone does. I think the chat about hardware availability should be open and the interfacing of the hardware should be discussed as well as you stated!

Hardware and Interfacing Discussions. I think this would be an appropriate title.

Anyhow the thing that drives this is hardware we must understand without the hardware there would be no software/firmware to add anything to we need discussion not only for the horse but the rider as well.

If it flops and no one uses it so be it remove the section it is a rather simplistic task. There is a whole new level of creativity that is unlocked with each bit of hardware I seem to notice just as a software update comes down the pipe there was a lot of buzz with IR for instance.

Anyhow I believe this is best for the basic community while I may be wrong on its level of importance it just seems to tie in rather well from my own observation.
By forlotto
#48190 SWEET thanks MIKE!