Place to put your Basic demos and examples

Moderator: Mmiscool

By trackerj
#47798 Because you were asking about the MPDMv4 - Universal AC Dimmer CNTRL Connector, please find below a Youtube video explaining a bit more about:

Looking forwards for your thoughts about :)
By forlotto
#48183 Ok so we talked a bit about the dimmer as of yesterday one thing I need to refresh myself on is the circuit I believe if I recall correct the VCC required a 5v power and the VCNT was a 0-2.8v more or less. I finally have the board and a little bit of time will be doing some testing to see how everything pans out.

There are a couple of potential things I am curious about The STmicro triac that is bent over this really just needs more separation on the board in my case it is a requirement for it to stand straight up will it be able to dissapate enough heat standing up in an enclosed box or does it need to be bent or have vents and a fan to cool it? Would hate to see this thing melt my case or burn my house down because of improper cooling...

It will also be nice to see how well this device deals with flicker vs the other board if it is indeed flicker free it will be a rather interesting deal.
By trackerj
forlotto wrote:Ok so we talked a bit about the dimmer as of yesterday one thing I need to refresh myself on is the circuit I believe if I recall correct the VCC required a 5v power and the VCNT was a 0-2.8v more or less. I finally have the board and a little bit of time will be doing some testing to see how everything pans out.

There are a couple of potential things I am curious about The STmicro triac that is bent over this really just needs more separation on the board in my case it is a requirement for it to stand straight up will it be able to dissapate enough heat standing up in an enclosed box or does it need to be bent or have vents and a fan to cool it? Would hate to see this thing melt my case or burn my house down because of improper cooling...

It will also be nice to see how well this device deals with flicker vs the other board if it is indeed flicker free it will be a rather interesting deal.

The MPDMv4 Dimmer Board is working at 3.3V, same as your ESP8266 Board.

For the VCNT level, you need to find the right interval for you, depending on your load and voltage. Please see below a video explaining about MPDMv4 Control Voltage:

For reference, the setup in the video above:
- MPDMv4 Universal AC Dimmer Board
- ESP8266 nEXT EVO Board
- ESP Basic 2.0.Alpha 22 firmware
- AC MAINS - 240VAC/50Hz EU
- Lightbulb - standard 60W/240VAC one

As soon as I will receive (on their way already) the US 110VAC lightbulbs will post also a video for 110VAC/60Hz. I have already the test rig in place with 110VAC/60Hz MAINS in place, waiting.

As long as you keep yout VCNT values inside the proper range for your load it's no flicker or anything else, it will stay "in-sync" with the MAINS 50hz or 60Hz frequency without any problems.

The Triac can stay also straight up. Depending on the load you put you need a bigger or smaller heatsink. For a standard house lightbulb under 100W it can run OK without any problems, can handle it. If you really want extra cooling for this particular case a small one can be added, it will not hurt at all. And also about extra safety regarding the Triac: the one used has a isolated tab from MAINS!

For reference, the code used in tests:

Code: Select allcls
let pinNo = 5
let Brightness = 890
print "Control PIN"
textbox pinNo
print " Brightness"
textbox Brightness
button " Set Brightness " [SetBrightness]
button " Exit " [TestExit]
wait

[SetBrightness]
pwo pinNo Brightness
wait

[TestExit]
end
By forlotto
Code: Select allcls
let pinNo = 5
let Brightness = 890
print "Control PIN"
textbox pinNo
print " Brightness"
textbox Brightness
button " Set Brightness " [SetBrightness]
button " Exit " [TestExit]
wait

[SetBrightness]
io(pwo,pinNo,Brightness)
wait

[TestExit]
end

Notice it is 2.24 version I am using.
This is the line of code I changed to make it work io(pwo,pinNo,Brightness)