Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By pmcdonaldesp
Stu wrote:Ah, wow that easy. Didn't expect the MDNS object from ArduinoOTA to be available. And yes, that works .. sort of..
Technically it works, only somehow adding mDNS services is not actually working. The service doesn't show up in my Bonjour browser (the OTA service is shown). And connecting to it using telnet doesn't work.

I noticed that ArduinoOTA doesn't use the .addService method, but binds to MDNS in a way that I don't fully comprehend.. :?

I should really be digging deeper into mDNS here, I feel I'm just bearly scratching the surface.. Just of the bat, any pointers anyone?

I have similar problems with mDNS.

There are a few unresolved mdns discussion in the main esp8266 about this - this one seems to be connected .

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/2110

Generally, my experience is that the code works, but the the names are unreliable. Sometimes they will appear in bonjour browser and sometimes they wont.
By Stu
#50345 Yeah, and on my side it's still not working fine, but my guess is that it's related to the fact that I never updated my libraries. Now that I did my OTA updating broke, I want to fix that first before continuing down the mDNS lane ;-).

If I find anything new I'll report it here or in that thread you linked