General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By drhaitch
#51321 I want to upload a lot of data to the esp8266. Lots of small files. If I upload them manually (I dont want to) they go into the uploads/folder and I cant use read/write to access them. They need to be in the /data/ folder from what I can tell.

I'm thinking my best bet is to write a small program that uses udp and will collect the data from my computer and save it in files.
Is there a better way?

Also how much memory is there for files? any way of monitoring this?
Thanks
Hamish

--edit
Using UDP worked really well, Sending files up to about 1200 bytes is no problem, My files are all less than 800 so no issues! Manages to store over 1000 files this way. The only issue is that the file browser now wont open, I dont think it can handle that many files, but espbasic has no issues opening the files and reading them really fast.

if you are interested the files were all hex, so I made up strings using xojo on the PC and in the format
"filename datastring" with a space between the filename and the data. then used word function in espbasic to split the 2 apart and save the string data with that file name.

I have also modified espbasic with a new command neohex that allows me to use strings to hold neopixel data, this means I can have a string that is 768 bytes long, and dump it straight to a neopixel grid of 16x16 and get it to display instantly. Reading a file and displaying like this gets me about 3-4 frames a second which is what I was after. :)

I have now made a gameframe without using an SD card, And using esp8266basic to run things. :D
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... -of-pixels
By Mmiscool
#51382 Any source code for this hex mod?

Could you post up your program for converting graphics to this hex format string?
By drhaitch
Mmiscool wrote:Any source code for this hex mod?

Could you post up your program for converting graphics to this hex format string?

Ill tidy things up then post a link to dropbox .
Ill try generating a runtime for it in OSX, Linux and Windows which XOJO should do. and a video.
Just added a line drawing command to, had a few issues with my maths and divide by zero but seems to work now.