Chat freely about anything...

By Trey
#51671 Hi, Hopefully someone offer something here.

I have a sketch on my module that uses the esp as an access point.
Everything works great at my office, but when I take it to my partners location I have issues connecting to the
AP from my PC ("Can't connect to network") when I am successful at connecting. UDP packets get dropped right and left. This does not happen at the office either. I took the module to the library and everything works great up there too. Could there be something about the location causing issues? That is the only changing variable.
By schufti
#51692 did you try to change channel on your ESP-AP?

P.S.: use inSIDDer to look at AP/channel distribution around your home...
By Trey
#51922 Pulling my hair out, Changing the channel seemed to help temporarily. Since it was temporary I added a bit to select a random channel (6 or 11) before starting the softAp(), I also added a 2.4ghz antennae in place of a 3 cm wire.

Here is some background on my sketch,

When the ESP starts up if pin 13 is low I am starting an access point via the WIFIManager library onGitHub
Starting in this mode spins up a config portal in the users browser and allows them to connect the esp to an available network. The user can then connect thier PC or Mobile to the same network as the esp or multiple Esps and send packets.

If the ESP starts 13 HIGH I simply set up an access point via softAp() method so the user can connect directly to the ESP and send packets.

I had two up and running smoothly here this morning. Connecting back and forth between standalone and what I am calling IOT mode. Eating packets like potato chips. I took it to my partners place and crash and burn. Nothing worked. All of a sudden it is not recognizing a packet was sent in either mode and the hit or miss connectivity has returned.

I can't figure out if it's Hardware, The Antennae, The WifiManager Library, Something unseen in the config that gets set between modes and not forgotten. Simply something I should be doing and am not.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.