You can chat about native SDK questions and issues here.

By KevinA
#55700 After fighting some ESP8266-201/01 devices trying to update the AT software or just put NodeMCU on them I decided I was lost on the firmware flash memory locations. I started reading the manuals but ran into memory maps that placed things in gigabyte areas, 0x40100000 or 1,074,790,400.
Is there a "Memory Mapping ESP8266 for Dummies" or a "101 on using 4K Pages for the Impatient Person" or somewhere that explains why they suck up 16KB (three 4K blocks) for <1K worth of parameters? Or how about why the system parameters are not loaded above boot but below user code in one block of area? I have some 8 Megabyte devices on the way and I want to use them!
Last edited by KevinA on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By RichardS
#55724 I do not have the exact answer, but I would think they use 16K for 1K to future proof, or maybe for some reason they want 16K boundaries (even though block size is 4K). And memory maps into gig areas really have no bearing on anything what counts is the size of the area. For example a processor may distinguish 16 area of memory on a 32 bit bus, so these area would have address $x0000000, one could be flash, one could be SRAM etc... makes decoding internally easy. and again sort of future proofs when SRAM and flash grow in upcoming parts.

RichardS