The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By mike_cymru
#55732 Hi
As a novice ESP user I need advice on how to configure two ESP-12's; one will process data from several sensors and the other will be dedicated to displaying the processed data on matrix displays. So the processed data path is unidirectional and the displays will be updated say, every 5 seconds. Both ESP's will be in their 'local' WiFi range and will be configured as an 'autonomous network' - independent of my home WiFi network. I found reading the github documentation a little confusing in this regard but otherwise excellent. As I see it I could configure the sensor processor as an 'Soft AP' and the Display processor a 'WiFi station'; or should it be WiFi server and WiFi Client respectively, or am I incorrect on both counts. Many thanks for your guidance on this in advance.
Mike
By eduperez
#55755 The client-server relationship on the network layer is independent from the client-server relationship on the application layer. You can connect both devices to a common access point, or you can configure one as an access point and the other as a wireless client; but once you have both devices in the same network, any device can act as a server and expect data, and any device can act as a sensor and send data.
By mike_cymru
#55766 Hi both.
Thanks for this very helpful guidance and does resolve my query. I can now embark on my first ESP project using C++ and the Arduino IDE. Yes, the Github 'handbook' is a gem of a resource for configuration and coding approaches. I have no doubt there will be other posts as the project progresses!
Thanks again.
Mike