Current News

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Electroguard
#56846 I am constantly amazed by what Mmiscool has created with Esp_Basic, and the more I find out about it, the more I realise that I'm only seeing the tip of the iceberg.
If that man was ever to give lessons about all its capabilities I'm sure it would be astonishing what he could make it do. We mortals have to feel our way around his Aladins Cave in the dark, sometimes stumbling over hidden jewels which might have been there unnoticed for ages. Here is something I've just tripped over which may already be common knowledge to most of you, but came as a complete surprise to me.

I'm not a programmer, so topics like Flash Variables tend to sail over my head and make my eyes glaze over. I did notice a few days ago that our wizard had created a del.dat() function for deleting flash variables, which I thought could be much handier with an accompanying command to show up what flash variables may be present.

I've spent a couple of days 'loading' different files from flash according to 'flag' variables that were saved to flash, and it took a long while for the penny to drop... but eventually I noticed that the file manager was not just showing the files held in flash, it was also showing all the flash variables as well, which are in the \data folder.

So it IS possible to see what flash variables exist, and at a glance.

But that's not the best of it... the Delete, Edit, and Rename buttons don't just work for the flash files, they work on the flash variables as well!

So there's been a complete Flash Variables management toolkit sitting readily available right under my nose all this time. Well THAT's a nice little gem to stumble across, and one that I reckon is worthy of being documented by our scribe.