Chat freely about anything...

By masto182
#49423 Hi,

I am looking for a solution for my existing lighting, Something that will allow existing switches to function as usual, and my wife won't be happy if something stops working.

I was thinking of changing the current wall switch to a 2-way (3-way) switch, and then wiring a relay that I would control via an ESP8266, and send messages back to an MQTT broker on Raspberry pi and binded to openHAB.

If i did this I would need to know when the physical switch is used so it can changes the status of the light. I thought this could be done using a current sensor attached to the same ESP8266.

Could someone help with advise. Am I overcomplicating things or is there an easy way to achieve this?

If anyone has done something simple could you help by providing links to part numbers, wiring diagrams, code or installation instructions that could help. I have spent a few weeks trying to work it out before I've asked this question, but I'm still not sure what the best way to do this is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
By jankop
I was thinking of changing the current wall switch to a 2-way (3-way) switch, and then wiring a relay that I would control via an ESP8266, and send messages back to an MQTT broker on Raspberry pi and binded to openHAB.

Just optocoupler with a large resistor and diode or diode bridge connected in parallel to the bulb. It's simple, inexpensive and it works. Optocopler LED needs only a few microamperes with a sufficiently large collector resistor.